help me pick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighBrewer

Reaction score
Brew day didn't quite go as planned yesterday.

First, had a bag of mystery grain. I was pretty sure it was Vienna, as there was a partial bag at work that was ripped...thought I grabbed a random empty grain bag and forgot to label it. Fast forward a few months I'm sitting here looking at it trying to figure out what it is....vienna? Munich 1?? Maybe I was tipsy and really did grab a bag of Munich 2 since that is what's on the bag?!

Figured screw it, let's use it and see what happens.

7lbs - ???
2lbs - white wheat
1lbs - carafoam

.4oz French Aramis @ 13.36 IBU

Overshoot my infusion temp, so I quickly add a bit of water and stir down. Crap, too much, ended up at 150 instead of 156. Let that ride 20 minutes, boil 2q to bring it up, get it to about 154....close enough. Gave that 40 min, batch sparge as normal

Horrible extraction (didn't double grind as usual) and came out at 1.042 instead of the 1.048 I wanted. Usually goes the other way.

Anyways, wort sample is a lovely reddish brown....not Vienna lol. Hard to tell if 1 or 2 but its Munich.

SO! This is where you guys come in. Help figure out what to do culture wise. Didn't really have a plan set in stone and that was when I expected a light golden hued base.

We have :

ECY01

Gigayeast sour Belgian plum
Gigayeast sour farmhouse
Gigayeast fast sour lacto

TYB Brussels

Inland Island barrel brett 3 (staves yeast)
Inland pedio

Wyeast - de Bom
Wyeast - oud bruin
Wyeast - L. Brevis

Couple of dregs in vials (I think jp, bruery, few others)

Could transfer a couple sours to secondary and use cakes from

TYB - brett saison
TYB - Lochristi w/5335
3522 w/wlp brett L
ECY20

wish I had your choices. I'll be of no help other than to say which one of those haven't you had in a while, and how soon do you want it? there you go! I vote for fast sour lacto to balance your lovely reddish brown.

More then happy to do that but I'd still need a yeast. I guess I could pitch the lacto and pitch a sacch in a few days.

I do no-chill brewing, so thankfully I have time to think it through

I brewed an Oud Bruin recipe with a lot of Munich today and pitched De Bom. Smelled delicious :). It would be interesting to follow someone with a similar timeline to mine to see how fast it really goes. I will barely be able to keep it at 80 if I'm lucky, so I imagine it won't be quite the 6-8 weeks I've seen mentioned.

Yeah I suppose you would still need a sacc or brett to make some alcohol. doh!

Slightly off topic... do you adjust your hop schedule to account for no-chill? I no chill myself and still haven't settled on a set method, although I do find first wort hopping seems most compatible for bittering.

Yes, with beers that it matters. For sours its just a bittering addition, but I do adjust my software to account for it, 20 extra minutes.

Back