First sour, Flanders brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinkeelfool

Reaction score
Brewed my first sour, a Flanders brown ale. It's on top of the fridge at the moment in 2 x 3 gallon glass carboys. It's inside so the temps will be stable, as my garage can get hot in summer and cold in winter. I plan on leaving for 12 months then tasting and possibly adding cherries to half. Saving champagne bottles as well. The pic is for when I first pitched. A few days later and they both foamed over haha.

image.jpg

Recently tapped my first sour also a Flanders brown. Quite amazing. I used 3" of an oak spiral and it gave a nice subtle undertone. I gave it a ton of time, 2.5 yrs. the best part is how few enjoy the style so I know I will have it for quite some time to savor. Enjoy!

Over a year now so wondering when should I bring them down and take a sample? I've also got some oak dominoes ( rum soaked ) I'd like to add. I've added some cantillon dregs and oak chips ( not many though ) to one and kept the other "plain".

I think I'm going to do a lambic next :). There are cherry orchards a few hours south of here where you can pick your own in summer. I just found out they have sour cherries as well so I might do it.

Latest posts

Back