100% Brett Blueberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngpretender13

Reaction score
So this will be my first foray into all Brett brewing. Its a 5.5 gallon batch, using pale 2row, pale 6row, torrified wheat, German wheat malt, a touch of crystal 60, Galaxy hops (on a late addition), and 10 lbs of blueberries in secondary, and 5lbs added in the last 10 min of boil. I'll be using Brettanomyces Claussenii White labs WLP645, with a 2L starter on a stir-plate.

So how long will it approximately take for the Brett to ferment out with the blueberries added in secondary? and how long should the Blueberries be left in secondary? Share some experience and lemme know! Thanks Guys.

That depends on your starter really. Is this a stepped up starter or just a vial into a 2L starter? I'm doing something similar with Brett Trois. I've stepped it up once so far and going to go again. With a small pitch it will take a while to finish. With a stepped up almost lager pitch it could be done in as little as two weeks. Claussenii will finish pretty clean with my experience with it. I did it alone and I did a blend with Trois. The blend was too small and it took about 3 months to finish around 1.003.

With the blueberries I would give it a couple months. Maybe 2 and then taste it. Personally I haven't done anything with blueberries as of yet but from what I've read it takes a TON to give off flavor. So you will need to get a good bit in the secondary to give off a good blueberry flavor.

Good luck!
Santé!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back