Sweet RIS recipe (Dark Lord, Even More Jesus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafaelpinto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning a dense, sweet Imperial Stout based on what I have heard about Three Floyds' Dark Lord. Even More Jesus is a good reference too, I love that beer. They can do 14% ABV beers that does not feel too boozy, although overly sweet.

So the idea is to go deep on caramel/malty flavors, but also with coffee/chocolate hints. A stronger bitterness will balance the higher final gravity. Of course it must be as black as midnight.

Here is my recipe, would you give me your opinions, please?

70% 2-row
10% Crystal 150
5% Crystal Dark (Mutons)
7.5% Chocolate
2.5% Black Malt
2.5% Special B
2.5% Debittered Black Malt​

+ brown sugar?
+ oats?

Mash temperature around 150-155F.
OG: 1.100 :rockin:
IBU: 75 (magnum?)
S-04​

Thanks guys :mug:

I would sub out some of your crystal 150 for some roasted barley

Is it too much crystal? Or is it the roasted malts that are lacking?

I tried some chocolate malt and all I get is an ashy/coffeey flavor.
Roasted barley, on the other hand, is more on the burnt side. It might add some complexity.

Thanks!

Is it too much crystal? Or is it the roasted malts that are lacking?

I tried some chocolate malt and all I get is an ashy/coffeey flavor.
Roasted barley, on the other hand, is more on the burnt side. It might add some complexity.

Thanks!

you might be a bit high on the crystal malts overall, but I think a good stout, especially an imperial, needs some roast.

you could always ditch the dark crystal since you've already got C150 and special B in there.

you might be a bit high on the crystal malts overall, but I think a good stout, especially an imperial, needs some roast.

Got it, Mr. Fantom Lord!

What about this adaptation? It went from 17.5% of Caramel to 15%; and from 10% black malts to 12%. Oats and brown sugar added. Is this a better recipe? I would not like it to be too roasted (as Biscotti Break, for example).

60% 2-row
10% Crystal 150
8% Flaked Oats
8% Chocolate
5% Brown Sugar
5% Special B
2.5% Black Malt
2.5% Roasted Barley

Just curious if anyone has brewed this recipe. I might be tempted to give it a shot...

I did, scaled it cause I thought I was going to get 65% efficiency but ended up at 75%. Was worried it wouldnt finish dry enough since I got so much more sugar than expected... so I put in an additional lb of brown sugar. Fermented with a crap ton of 090 and got it down to 1.029. So she finished just shy of 14% ABV. Have it aging on some oak cubes on a keg right now. Last sample I pulled a week ago was pretty epic. Most likely will be brewing again.

That's awesome to hear. Now I just need to determine if I'm even capable of making a beer that big...

Back