Incendiary Brewing Shade of Lies Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
Has anyone had this beer? It is phenomenal. Definitely a very big beer but I want to try and make it. At the brewery it's listed as about 11.5% if memory serves. It comes in four flavors: Coffee, Coconut, Maple and a blend of all three. I prefer the Coconut version, but all are great. I am not sure which style of stout to consider it, probably an Imperial Stout. On the can, they list:

2-Row
Roasted Barley
Chocolate Malt
Crystal 80
Black Malt
Flaked Oats

Just trying to put together a recipe (5.6G into the fermenter), here's what I have so far which is loosely based on an American Stout I just made:

17# - 2-Row
2# - Roasted Barley
2# - Chocolate Malt
2# - Crystal 80
1# - Black Malt
1# - Flaked Oats
25# total

3 oz. Magnum for 60 min
3 oz. Cascade for 30 min
2 oz. Cascade at Flameout

Which yields:

OG: 1.118
FG: 1.030
Color: 99.8° SRM
Bitterness: 81.5 IBU
BG:GU: 0.691
Alcohol: 11.5% ABV
Calories: 427 per 12oz

A few questions though. I am really kinda just winging it on the amounts of everything, again based on a stout I just made but scaling accordingly. The IBU seems a bit high to me, but the suggestion for an Imperial Stout is BG:GU: 0.667 - 0.783, so this is actually a bit towards the lower end of that. I know you want to balance the bitterness with the sweetness.

First off, I can't really even pull this one off yet as my 10G kettle is too small for a single BIAB batch of this size so thinking of getting a 15G for these bigger beers. To add the Coconut flavor, not sure how much to go here, but thinking of somewhere around 10 oz. of Toasted Coconut after fermentation, but no sure of other things like Cocoa Nibs and/or Vanilla (though I don't think either of those would hurt my feelings at all).

Any advice is appreciated.

Hoping to get some feedback on this, even if you haven't tried the original. I picked up a 15G Brewbuilt kettle locally over the weekend so am set in that regard.

Last edited:
I have revised my recipe and am confused about the predicted ABV. I've entered this into three different apps and all yield quite varied results ranging from 9.3% to 12.3%. Here is the grain bill. I'd like it to be reasonably close to the original which is 11.3%. If they were all within like a 1/2% then I wouldn't worry too much but a variation of 3% seems like too much. What do I trust?

18# - 2-Row
2# - Chocolate Malt
2# - Crystal 80
1# - Flaked Oats
0.5# - Black Patent
0.5# - Roasted Barley
1# - Maltodextrin
- - - - -
25# total

And just for reference:
1 oz. Warrior @ First Wort
2 oz. Cascade @ First Wort