Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Strong esters with US-05. WTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Strong esters with US-05. WTF?

OK, so I know I said I'd be taking some time off here, but this has to do with one of my current in-progress beers, my six-grain cream ale (5.25lb 2-row, 11oz each of rice, corn, rye, wheat, and oats).

It's been 3 weeks since bottling and it's carbed by now. But between bottling and opening it's developed an overwhelming estery flavor (like pears, oranges or peaches). While this is certainly an interesting development, it's not at all what I was shooting for, and I really didn't expect US-05 to throw that kind of flavor profile, especially during bottle conditioning.

I'm attempting to cold crash a few bottles to see if the buoyant yeast is part of the problem. Has anyone else experienced a light beer with a supposedly neutral yeast developing unexpected flavors?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Sounds like it got hot. American Ale can get pretty rowdy if it gets too warm and a light beer won't have anything to hide.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Sounds like it got hot. American Ale can get pretty rowdy if it gets too warm and a light beer won't have anything to hide.
That was my thought too... to free up the bathroom we moved all the bottles to our laundry room where it gets pretty warm... but I had hoped US-05 would be good to me and the small amount of fermentation wouldn't be an issue

Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I heat my bottles up to the mid to upper 70's when conditioning, and have never noticed any esters from US-05. You're sure the temp didn't shoot up during the ferment?

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
That was my thought too... to free up the bathroom we moved all the bottles to our laundry room where it gets pretty warm... but I had hoped US-05 would be good to me and the small amount of fermentation wouldn't be an issue
I think in BLAM they compared American Ale at Belgian temps and it got really nasty. I wanna say it was Allagash that did it.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I heat my bottles up to the mid to upper 70's when conditioning, and have never noticed any esters from US-05. You're sure the temp didn't shoot up during the ferment?
It might have gotten up to the 80's in the laundry room. There's the dryer that runs hot, but the water heater is also in there. Also, I control the ferment using the low tech swamp cooler method (in the spare bathtub with water, with an old shirt draped over it for evaporative cooling, and I add ice to the tub every morning). I relocated the fermenter to a closet that stays relatively cool for conditioning, but since there was no active fermentation going on it shouldn't be throwing those kinds of esters at that stage.

I'm gonna have to do a fermentation test on a light (extract) beer. Ferment with temp control, then bottle condition it in various places around the house to see how different locations affect the flavor.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I get slight peach with S-05 - it's one of the reasons why I think it's slightly different than WLP001/WY1056, and why I never use it.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
carp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm drinking a batch of IPA now that used US-05, where one keg of 10 gal batch is great, and the other has a pronounced banana flavor. I'm quite sure that it didn't get out of the 60's during fermentation.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
fartingdog
Recipes 

I normally keg, but there was one time I'd bottled a high gravity beer and added US-05 at bottling to ensure carbonation- at three weeks it had some weird off flavors, it sucked because I made it as a commemorative giveaway for our mass-layoff (self included). I didn't want to give away a faulty beer, so I kept it. in a month or 2, all the off flavors went away, it tasted awesome and I was more than happy to have plenty on hand!

Short story- give it time stored at room/cellar temp for a while, let the yeast clean themselves up and you should have a fine brew.

Being drunk is the best feeling in my poor world. - Drinky Crow

Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Jeeperforlife
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am experiencing the same symptom with my barleywine...i tossed in some us-05 at bottling to be sure it would carb and now its got a fruity flavor added to it. This sucks because the sample i took when i bottled was awesome. Im really hoping it will fix itself with some age, as it is very green yet.

Bottled - Am. Wheat, ESB

Quick Reply