Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saving Money Brewing with Coriander

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Stimulus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saving Money Brewing with Coriander

I like to brew my wheats with a little coriander (or sometimes a lot) I like to use between a half ounce to a whole ounce; sometimes even more than that.

I used to have a hard time finding the whole coriander and was getting it at the LHBS at $2 an ounce. I finally got around to looking online, and Amazon has 3 pounds in seperate one pound bag for 11 bucks. I would be paying a hundred bucks for that much coriander from the LHBS, so this seemed like something I wanted to pass along.

http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Coria...1825872&sr=8-1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Do you not have a Mr Bulky's or other Bulk food place where you live? If you are paying more than a few pennies/ounce for any spices you are getting ripped off.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Stimulus
Recipes 

We've got a costco and a bjs and neither of them have coriander! I think one of them or sams club or something had powder, which I didn't want to try. It seemed way to hard to find whole coriander seeds around here!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4894 Times on 4478 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Have any Asian or Indian markets in your area?

They yend to stock more whole spices than you could ever imagine. And are a great source of other potential experimental ingredients.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4894 Times on 4478 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
We've got a costco and a bjs and neither of them have coriander! I think one of them or sams club or something had powder, which I didn't want to try. It seemed way to hard to find whole coriander seeds around here!
http://www.google.com/search?q=Aian+markets+in+Raleigh+NC&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#q=Asian+markets+in+Raleigh+NC&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivmc&source=univ&tbs=plcs:1&tbo=u&ei=L7f_TNn_Lsb_lge--8i2CA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CC0QtQMwAA&fp=e18ec2db23988f7d

Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Have you tried "The Fresh Market?"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-fresh-market-raleigh

Evidently their bulk spices are 1.99 a baggie.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Stimulus
Recipes 

I think that would be a cool way to check out some other spices to play with! Any recomendations?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post

They yend to stock more whole spices than you could ever imagine. And are a great source of other potential experimental ingredients.
I agree. There's a ton of Bangladesh, Indian, Asian and Polish markets in Hamtramck (A 1 mile square ethnic "enclave" in the heart of Detroit) and they have amazing stiff.

I'm gonna be bottling my sri lankin stout with Jaggery Molasses. I got a huge jar for a couple bucks.

Stimulus, Mexican groceries are great places as well. They tend to sell spices for dirt cheap as well.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Here, this should get you started. You have a TON of ethnic markets in your town...Three pages of them.

Asian Markets Raleigh, NC

Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
loapathy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post

This.

For a while the local Asian market had raw barley, too. As cheap as it was, it gave me a chance to see just how bad I was at making malt.

Quick Reply