Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Morebeer AG kits...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default Morebeer AG kits...

Okay... here is my question.

I am looking at buying three AG kits, since they are cheaper than driving and buying at my LHBS. Morebeer kits are all in the sub $30 range basically, NB is the same, but they charge $8 shipping, and AHS kits are all $30+ and they also charge shipping. What I want to buy will cost me $82 shipped at MB, about the same at NB and about $100 at AHS... why is there such a large difference? Anyone had nay bad results with kits from MB? I am planning three brews... an Xmas Ale, Thanksgiving Ale and another Amber/Heavy Ale for the winter months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I brewed a couple of B3 AG "Silk Stout" kits a couple weeks ago... was for a friend (who bought them), wanted 10 gals, so we just dumped the two kits together. I haven't tasted the beer yet, as it's at their house, not mine. But it tasted very good going into the fermenter. The recipe sheet was interesting, too. It including an exact list of ingredients, though -- that made calculating volumes very easy. I just plugged the amounts into BeerSmith, chose a mash temp, and spit out a brewsheet.

I've never bought a kit from Austin Homebrew or Northern before. Actually, I've only bought one kit, period, and that was a custom-made kit for a local club competition. ("Best damn beer": use a pre-made kit, and make a limited (controlled) number of changes to it to produce the best beer possible from it.)

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to use B3 kits exclusively until finding this site, nothing wrong with them at all.

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a MB kit about 3 weeks ago, their Imperial Stout. Obviously I can't give you a final verdict since it's still in the secondary, but I'll say that the hydrometer sample I tasted between primary and secondary was really good.

The ingredient list for the one I made seemed solid and well thought out. The only problem I had was the crush on the grains was suspect, and I hit only 63%. I'm finding that's the case with most online vendors though. (I get 70+% on LHBS crushed grain.) If I wanted a kit I'd certainly try MB again, but I'd get uncrushed graisn and crush them myself.

I've never had a kit from AHS.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

We base our price on the kits according to the ingredients in the kit. I am working to lower the price of the kits be I really hate to start skimping on the ingredients of award winning recipes. You can't really compare prices of recipe kits between suppliers. They are different recipes with different ingredients.

I am about to launch a new line of kits that have a significantly lower price. I am sure you will like them. The all-grain kits will be in the $20 range.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ive made morebeer's mild brown, and nut brown ales both are excellent and have good prices, cheaper than if you were to buy the individual ingredients that make up the kit.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

I have compared some of the MB kits to buying at my LHBS, and considering gas prices, it is much cheaper to buy a couple kits at MB, get FREE shipping and make out like a bandit. I have been spending at least $30 for ingredients at my LHBS and spending $7-$8 in gas for the trip. I can buy two or three kits at MB for about $25 each, get free shipping, and not battle downtown traffic.

I have purchased kits from NB and have loved them, great results, great instructions and great pricing, all in the $20-$25 range. The shipping is still up there at $8, another reason I want to send my business to MB... same pricing, no shipping.

Id have to disagree that you cannot compare kit pricing between suppliers. They may not be the exact same recipes, but when several suppliers all have great reputations for thier kits, and one of them basically charges 30% more across the board for thier kits, there can be a comparison made.

Thanks guys

Last edited by The Pol; 09-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Just ordered (2) AG kits... the Fire in the Hole Ale and Holiday Ale, along with a new hydrometer and test jar, shipped, for the LOW LOW price of $68.75!!

The Pol

Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Id have to disagree that you cannot compare kit pricing between suppliers. They may not be the exact same recipes, but when several suppliers all have great reputations for thier kits, and one of them basically charges 30% more across the board for thier kits, there can be a comparison made.
The ingredients determine the price. Stores price their kit according to the ingredients in them.

I can buy a bottle of Stag's Leap Merlot for $45 or a Beringer's Merlot for $9.99.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
The ingredients determine the price. Stores price their kit according to the ingredients in them.

I can buy a bottle of Stag's Leap Merlot for $45 or a Beringer's Merlot for $9.99.
+1. You cannot compare apples and oranges. Even if they really are both labelled "stout".

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Quick Reply