LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 970 Times on 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentEhrman
[...]I also added maple syrup at flame out and none of the flavor came through. Are there any recommendations on getting more of the maple flavor to come out?
Add it during secondary?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
thoughtsonhops
Recipes 

What about faking the bacon? Smoke some malt over hickory. I bought a bottle of Bakon and I really liked it. You could use that if you didn't want to make your own. I did end up making my own, I cooked the bacon in a pan until it was crispy, then just tossed a few strips in the vodka and let it sit for a week. It wasn't over powering.
I'm surprised no ones mentioned Rogues Voodoo Doughnut Ale.

Last edited by thoughtsonhops; 11-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #23
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtsonhops View Post
At $13 for 750ml bottle I'll pass. The donut I'll eat next time I'm near Voodoo, if the surly server will handle my request.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
BigDaddyBrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentEhrman View Post
I tried a stout with bacon salt to the boil and more at bottling, I can barely choke it down and it's been in a bottle over 3 months now. I may have used too much, but if I try it again I won't be using the salt at all.. I also added maple syrup at flame out and none of the flavor came through. Are there any recommendations on getting more of the maple flavor to come out?
If you want to get a certain flavor, like maple, add it when you bottle. Maple syrup is sugar and yeast will have its way with it. So if you add it at bottling the flavor of the maple will come through better.

"Yeah. OK, well, uh, we found, uh, this mouse in a bottle of YOUR BEER, eh. Like, we was at a party and, uh, a friend of ours - a COP - had some, and HE PUKED. And he said, uh, come here and get free beer or, uh, he'll press charges."-Doug McKenzie, Strange Brew

Up next: Winter warmer or ?
Primary 1: MT

Primary 2: MT

Sec 1: Red Tornado

Sec 2: MT

Sec 3: MT

Old 11-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

If you want bacon flavor just use a smoked malt. Get the smoked malt...bacon in beer is a waste of perfectly good bacon. Really...bacon beer is stupid...Smoked pork does not belong in beer, it belongs in your gut.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #26
atoyot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

FYI I cold brewed some of the maple bacon coffee from bocajava and added it to my porter, BIG maple flavor but I can't find any bacon.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #27
t_met
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtsonhops View Post
What about faking the bacon? Smoke some malt over hickory. I bought a bottle of Bakon and I really liked it. You could use that if you didn't want to make your own. I did end up making my own, I cooked the bacon in a pan until it was crispy, then just tossed a few strips in the vodka and let it sit for a week. It wasn't over powering.
I second the just smoke malt over hickory. People refer to my smoked porter as bacon beer all of the time. People link flavor associations. The brewing networked interviewed Alaskan Brewery. People think their beer tastes like smoked fish (Alder wood smoked grains). If you smoked with apple people would probably think you had a sausage beer. The same goes for pumpkin pie beer, people only want to taste pumpkin pie spices so don't bother with the pumpkin.

Easy to do with a charcoal grill. Mist the grains with a spray bottle to lightly dampen. Smoke sticks to wet grains easier, however wet grains can grow mold/get funky. So just lightly mist before smoking. Put grain is a stainless steal mesh, I used a screen door screen. Soak the Hickory in water so they smoke more than they would burn. Takes about 15-20 minutes. Pull grains off to cool down. Make sure that you don't burn the gains. Although a few burnt kernels isn't that big of a deal if you are making a porter.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #28
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyBrewing View Post
If you want to get a certain flavor, like maple, add it when you bottle. Maple syrup is sugar and yeast will have its way with it. So if you add it at bottling the flavor of the maple will come through better.
I love the idea, but how do you calculate the right amount? Since this would be in place of priming sugar, I would prefer to get it right instead of having my first bottle bombs! Is there a rule to go by here?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #29
BigDaddyBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentEhrman View Post
I love the idea, but how do you calculate the right amount? Since this would be in place of priming sugar, I would prefer to get it right instead of having my first bottle bombs! Is there a rule to go by here?
Wasn't really an issue since it only took 4ozs of Torriani Maple syrup for the 5gal batch to make a notable presence.

"Yeah. OK, well, uh, we found, uh, this mouse in a bottle of YOUR BEER, eh. Like, we was at a party and, uh, a friend of ours - a COP - had some, and HE PUKED. And he said, uh, come here and get free beer or, uh, he'll press charges."-Doug McKenzie, Strange Brew

Up next: Winter warmer or ?
Primary 1: MT

Primary 2: MT

Sec 1: Red Tornado

Sec 2: MT

Sec 3: MT

Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
pieman396
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Anyone ever get a good recipe for this to work?

Quick Reply