Light oak chips to replace medium oak cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmarmot

Reaction score
Hello, I'm brewing a bourbon barrel porter. Recipes that I have seen for it call for 2oz of medium toast oak cubes. I have about 3oz of light toast oak chips in my stash so I'm thinking about avoiding another trip to the LHBS (20 min away). Any thoughts on this possible substitute? I definitely brewed a strong, dark batch.

Cheers,

Christopher

I can only speculate, having never used the light toast, that there wouldn't be a huge difference between the two. I think the bourbon you choose and how long you soak the cubes in it will play a bigger part in what flavors are imparted into the beer

In my experience chips impart flavor very very quickly and can be a bit harsh. I only use cubes now. It seems i can age brew on the cubes longer and the oak flavor is more rounded. If you're going to use the chips i would recommend tasting often. Either way it sounds like an awesome brew!

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking the chips would impart flavor more quickly. I'll go with the cubes and if they're not giving off enough flavor I'll add chips near the end of the time in secondary.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back