Help with adding fruit to a Hefe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slider46

Reaction score
I have a simple hefe recipe - I was going to try to start a Kellerweis clone but i'd rather try a nice wheat with some fruit this time around. (Preferably cherry)

I only have a primary fermenter (Mr. Beer Keg). Should I get a can of cherries in syrup and then puree? Should I get fresh cherries and how should I add those?

Here's the recipe:

http://hopville.com/recipe/365386/weizen-weissbier-recipes/simple-hefeweizen

Batch Size: ~2.0 Gallons
Boil Size: 2.3 Gallons (35 minutes total)
Est SG: 1.057
Est FG: 1.014
SRM: 4
IBU: 15.8
2lb 3oz - Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
0lb 3oz - Weyermann CaraHell
0lb 3oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0lb 3oz - Malto-Dextrin
1/4oz Pearle @ 35 minutes
Yeast: White Labs WL320 American Hefe

*Steep grains for 30 minutes @ 155 F

There's a brand of canned cherry puree called Oregon that a lot of people use. I've used fresh cherries (mostly sour, some sweet) that I pitted, froze, thawed and mashed. The issue there is, do you have to worry about infection?

I picked up a 15oz can of the Oregon Dark Sweet cherries in syrup. (Already pitted)

I'm still wondering when to add this ingredient. I think these are my options:

• Puree cherries and add to primary
  • Puree cherries and add to primary after fermentation is complete (should I drain the syrup off?)
  • Don't puree cherries and simply add to primary after fermentation is complete (should I drain the syrup off?)

Is there enough sugary syrup in the can of cherries to significantly affect the beer? (taste/dryness/etc.)

Thanks for everyone's help.

I would add to secondary and rack over the cherries. Puree of perhaps just mash them a bit. If they're in syrup, I'd be inclined to drain that off. But I haven't used caned cherries, so maybe someone else can help.

I guess i'll just carefully add the drained cherries to the fermenter after fermentation is complete (Don't have a secondary fermenter)

Back