Forgot my bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etrain666

Reaction score
Maybe doing a double brew day was not such a good idea yesterday.

Just realized this morning after reviewing the recipe for my saison that I forgot 2oz of Goldings for the bittering. It only has 1oz of Saaz that was added in at 15 minutes left in the boil. This gives me a whopping 5.6 IBUs.

Being a tart saison, this may be ok, but thought I would get some opinions. Should I boil up a hop tea and add into the fermenter?

Maybe doing a double brew day was not such a good idea yesterday.

Just realized this morning after reviewing the recipe for my saison that I forgot 2oz of Goldings for the bittering. It only has 1oz of Saaz that was added in at 15 minutes left in the boil. This gives me a whopping 5.6 IBUs.

Being a tart saison, this may be ok, but thought I would get some opinions. Should I boil up a hop tea and add into the fermenter?

Maybe you'll have to, just to counteract the sweetness. I'd probably wait, and see how it tastes. If it tastes like it needs more bittering, a hop tea would probably work just fine.

That's a good idea; I've done the same before with good results. That said, I would have a taste when you take a ample go gravity and see how it is. Sometimes those 'oops' moments provide welcome surprises!

Another option would be to brew up an IPA and add x % of that really bitter wort into your saison. 1/2 gallon of 80 IBU into 5 gallons adds about 8 IBUs.

Thanks for the suggestions. Fermentation took off like a rocket ship, so I may be able to get an early sample and then decide.

Back