Exeperience with SafLager 34/70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I'm doing a Kolsch this weekend, my first foray into this style. I went to LHBS last night to pick up yeast to get a starter going, looking for WLP029, which they were out of. Backup plan was Wyeast 2565, which they were also out of. They suggested a few true lager strains, which I was apprehensive about because I don't have enough fermentation temperature control to really lager right now (without redoing my keezer, which is full of beer, so thats not happening). So, we settled on SafLager 34/70. My basement is sitting squarely at 58° right now, which is at the high end of the specs for that yeast, but I think it should work. Any experiences or tips for doing this? I started a 1L starter with one sachet of yeast last night on a stir plate, I plan to take it off tonight, chill, then decant and pitch the slurry after brewing on Sat.

I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. I've used 34/70 3 or 4 times for lagers and really liked it, but I fermented at 50 degrees. Instead of making a starter I just buy 2 packs. Let me know how it turns out.

Well, picked up the grain today, decided to do a 10gal batch so I made another 1L of starter wort and added that tonight. I'll let the starter go another 24 hrs on the stir plate and start chilling tomorrow night.

I also had to up the hops as the recipe in Beersmith originally had 2oz of Hallertauer at like a 4.8%AA. The ones I got were only 2.7%AA so I upped it to 3oz. So, we'll see how it goes.

Back