Closest ale to a schartzbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
That's just what I'm looking for. I want something like a schwartzbier but I don't want to have to lager it... any thoughts? Thanks people...

See end for an ale yeast that should be close to 830.

Schwarzbier
by Mikoli Weaver

(5 gallons, all grain)

Ingredients:

5 lbs. chariot pilsner malt
2 lbs. Munich pale malt (10° Lovibond)
1 lb. CaraMunich (40° Lovibond)
1 lb. carapils or dextrin-type malt
0.25 lbs. roasted barley
1.5 oz. of 3.5% alpha-acid Hallertau hops (5.25 AAU)
1.0 oz. of 3.5% alpha-acid Hallertau hops (3.5 AAU)
2 pt. starter of Bavarian Lager Yeast (Wyeast 2206 or White Labs WLP-830)
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Mash grain in 3 gallons of water for 60 minutes at 150° F. Sparge with 168° F water to yield 5.75 gallons of wort. Total boil time is 90 minutes. At beginning of boil add first Hallertau hops and continue for 75 more minutes. Add second Hallertau and boil for remaining 15 minutes. Whirlpool and cool to 45° F to pitch starter.
Ferment at 45° F for 7 days. Raise to 50° F over 7 more days, then transfer to secondary. Bring beer down to 40° F. Continue fermentation until gravity is about 1.008, about another week. Prime and bottle. Age two more weeks before drinking, as cold as possible.

Schwarzbier
(5 gallons, extract with grain)

Substitute the pilsner and Munich for 6 lbs. malt extract syrup and increase first Hallertau addition to 1.75 oz.

Step by Step:

Start with 5 gallons of water in boil kettle. Steep crushed grains at 150° F for 30 minutes. Remove bag and rinse with enough 168° F water to make 5.5 gallons. Add extract. Total boil time is 60 minutes. At beginning of boil add Hallertau hops and continue for 45 minutes. Add second Hallertau and boil for remaining 15 minutes. Whirlpool and cool to 45° F to pitch starter. Ferment and condition as above.

OG = 1.052
FG = 1.008
Color = 30 SRM
Bitterness = 26 IBUs

WLP830 German Lager Yeast
This yeast is one of the most widely used lager yeasts in the world. Very malty and clean, great for all German lagers, pilsner, oktoberfest, and marzen.
Attenuation: 74-79%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP005 British Ale Yeast
This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002. Like most English strains, this yeast produces malty beers. Excellent for all English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 67-74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Schwarzbieresque

Style: Schwarzbier (Black Beer)
Brew Type:
Extract
Batch Size:
5 gal
Boil Volume: 4.08 gal

Boil Time:
60 minutes
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.10 lbs. Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM)Extract90.2 %
8 oz. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60°L Grain5.6 %
4 oz. Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)Grain2.8 %
0.13 lb. Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)Grain1.4 %
1 oz. Northern Brewer [7.10%] (60 minutes)Hops20.0 IBU
2 oz. Hallertauer [4.00%] (15 minutes)Hops11.2 IBU
1 pkg. London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
OG: 1.062 SG
FG: 1.014 SG
Bitterness: 33 IBU (25.0-35.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units:
3.0 AAU
SRM: ~35
ABV: 6.2%
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2)
Carbonation Volumes:
2.4 (2.2-2.7 volumes)
Kegging Temperature: 60.0°F
Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 52.0°F

Good luck,
Wild

I have to admit I'm a little puzzled by the yeast suggestions in this thread.

Usually when you want to do a lager style but don't have lagering capabilties, the advice is to use california lager or european ale yeast with an otherwise unaltered recipe for that lager style.

The yeast I recommended is very clean except for a pronounced malt note, which is what you want in a Schwarzbier.

Back