bananenweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeBrewGuy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone made one of these?

I'm a big fan of Wheat beers and this is supposedly popular in Germany.

bananenweizen

1/2 Liter Weissbier (Wheat Beer)–preferably a German Brand
(i.e. Weihenstephaner).

1/10 Liter Banana Juice

1 Pilsner beer glass

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Chill a hefeweizenbier glass, (a tall pilsner glass).
2. While keeping the glass at an angle, so that it does not develop too much foam, pour the beer into the glass.
3. The bottleneck should be dunked slightly into the beer and then slowly pulled up.
4. Since the yeast that settles at the bottom of the bottle is a small remnant of wheat beer, shake the bottle and dump it into the wheat beer glass.
5. Once the foam head sets, fill the glass with well chilled banana juice.
picture.php

Never had it but would love to try it! Have some troeggs DreamWeaver wheat here. May have to go find some Banana juice.

As much as we like to credit the Germans for beer tradition, they sure do have a high tolerance for beer mixing (with juice, cola, etc.).

I made a bananaweizen once by mistake and didn't even use bananas. Fermented waaaay too high with weizen yeast.

Heh.

I have a "DunkelCloveWeizen" on tap now. I fermented a Dunkelweiss a little too cool with 3068. Just a trace of banana, but the clove will blow you away. Pretty good stuff.

:ban:

Thanks for posting this idea. I brewed a banana bread holiday ale and it came out pretty well. It has a little too much clove flavor, though, so I think I'll give this a whirl on Christmas Eve with the in-laws.

Do they sell banana juice at traditional grocers? Or will I need to go to a Whole Foods/Trader Joes type of specialty grocer?

yeah you shouldn't have a problem finding it there. i would look in the ethnic aisle. Probably Whole food or Trader Joes would be the place. Let us know how it turns out.

Heh.

I have a "DunkelCloveWeizen" on tap now. I fermented a Dunkelweiss a little too cool with 3068. Just a trace of banana, but the clove will blow you away. Pretty good stuff.

:ban:

What did you ferment at? I have a dunkel in the fermentor now and I am holding around 66 degrees with the 3068.

I've had these in Germany, usually served at the dance clubs, not so much at pubs/bars. They taste about like you'd expect. That being the case, I don't make them at home...

Part of me thinks that sounds crazy. At the same time, when I was in Leipzig, my wife ordered a Gose spiked with banana juice or banana liqueur and it was surprisingly awesome.

What did you ferment at? I have a dunkel in the fermentor now and I am holding around 66 degrees with the 3068.

About 62*F.

From what I understand, at 66 you will have more banana.

I am using some washed 3068 for a hefe next week and plan to ferment a little warmer than the last batch.

Back