Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Abita Amber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
biohazzardbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Abita Amber

Can someone with experience in this area find a beer from New Orleans called Abita Amber (quite possibly the best beer in the world), drink it and tell me how to make it. The website simply states that it's a Munich lager brewed with crystal malt and perle hops. I would really like to try to make my own version of this since it's not readily available where I live. I've only been brewing for about a year now and although I feel I am ready to try a lager, I am not anywhere near figuring out my own recipes. Any help would be most appreciated.
Also, they have a new IPA out called Jakamo IPA. I strongly recommend trying it if you can find it.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here is a partial mash recipe for a clone. The partial mash is needed to fully make use of the Munich malt. This was originally posted in this thread: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24902

8 oz. US Crystal 40L
4 oz. Munich malt
1 oz. US chocolate malt
2.25 lb American 2-Row malt
4 lb pale liquid malt extract
1/3 oz. Chinook Hops
1/4 oz. Perle Hops
1/4 oz. Crystal Hops

I am trying to find the Jockamo IPA, it has not made it to my area yet (hope it does).

If you make it, let me know how it comes out it is on my list.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not that I can help, but...I had this beer exactly once and I dumped it. It tasted all kinds of skunked...and I had gotten it from the beer shop where I worked, so I know it was kept in fine conditions. I love TurboDog, but the amber...I couldn't drink it.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Not that I can help, but...I had this beer exactly once and I dumped it. It tasted all kinds of skunked...and I had gotten it from the beer shop where I worked, so I know it was kept in fine conditions. I love TurboDog, but the amber...I couldn't drink it.
Weird, I have never had one that was skunked. Abita Amber is my go-to session microbrew. It was the first microbrew I ever had. I would not say it is the best amber lager around, but it isn't the worst and it goes down easy.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
May have been kept in fine conditions, but it may not have been shipped in fine conditions.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
The amber is on tap all around and it is okay, nothing special. TurboDog is bloody awesome! it gave me heartburn for some reason though. Well worth it though. Next time I am in New Orleans I am swinging by that brewery, no excuses this time.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, it wasn't totally the skunkiness either...there was something else, like a weird flatness to the flavor. It reminded me of hofbrau lager, which I also don't care for.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, was looking for a Jackamo thread and this is it. Mine isn't skunked if you can imagine that and it tastes wonderful for a hoppy beer in my locale. I have been buying this regular because it is hard to find good beer hot, like they have to sell it here in Oklahoma.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am lucky to have Abita Brewery just 60 miles from me. I like the Amber, Turbodog, Strawberry Harvest (this is really good). The Jockamo IPA is just too hoppy for me.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 92

This clone recipe worked perfect for me, I'm over 3,000 miles from home, but that doesn't mean I can't drink and eat in CA like I did growing up SW of NO!
.6lb- 60*L
.4lb-Dark Munich
.5lb- Vienna
1.5oz Perle (45min)
.25oz Perle and .25oz Mt Hood hopps (15min)
Irish Moss- 1 tablespoon
Yeast Nutrient- 1 tspn
White Labs- CA Ale yeast (Vienna Lager if you can Lager)
3lbs- Pale DME
3lbs- Extra light DME

** that last kick of Mt Hood is good just because of the neutrality of it, but if you look even at the bottle they use all German Perle hops.

Cronical: Empty
bottle: El Porto Robusto, T&C's Sweet Amber Ale, Turbo Saison, Chicken Chap Brown Ale, Mosaic Tripel, Ginger Vanilla Hefe, Honey Nelson Saison, Rosemary Blondie, O'Connor Red, Monk Tophula's Quad.
On Tap: Turbo Saison and T&C's Sweet Amber Ale.

Quick Reply