Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #161
JayberQue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

So i am about to pull the trigger on this trub filter... as i read more and more through the thread i was holding on to the thought that it could be used in a bk-pump-filter-plate chiller-bk recirc cycle until i got to this last page... Am i right in saying that no one here besides MicroBus has attemped to recirc for a full volume chill? and of course from his post it ended up in a clogged filter. I was really leaning towards this solution until now. I have a keggle with a false bottom and centered dip tube... is there any hope of this filter working with the bk-pump-filter-plate chiller-bk recirc setup?

On Tap: English Black IPA, Fresh Wet Hopped Ringwood Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #162
ryan0914
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've tried a couple times to recirculate with the my filter and it ended terribly. I clogged it 3 times. What I have found to work really well for me it start a whirlpool and it wait about 5-10 min and then start cooling and right to fermenter. Start the flow very slow. And finally the best way that I found it to work for me is BK-filter-pump-plate chiller. It doesn't seem to clog as easy when it's pulling the wort instead of pushing, also it seems to filter more trub that way. I really like mine hope it works well for you also.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #163
JayberQue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

thanks for the reply... a few questions, when you recirculated did you chill during the recirc or did you simply just recirc the hot wort? What filter are you using, the built in or the one of the fine filter socks. I decided to purchase on of these and give it a shot either way. I was thinking about setting up an manifold/splitter where I could recirc the hot wort a time or two with the filter then, by way of the manifold/splitter reroute it to recirc through the plate chiller with the pumper after bother filter and chiller. From your experience do you think that might be a possibility? Like i said i already purchased the filter so i am gonna do some experimenting with it. I have a false bottom in my boil keggle for use of whole/leaf hops and know from experince with that that it does not do much for filtering pellet debris. This should be fun...

Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #164
ryan0914
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have the fine sock I always run with mine. Without it just about everything can get through. You might be able to recirculate by just going from the pump to the pot. But if it wet me I would always go through the filter anytime I'm using the plate chiller. Just to help prevent something clogging the chiller.
Why exactly do you want to recirculate. You can run straight through and chill to temp in probably less time than recirculate to temp. This time of year my water temps are pretty low so I can run straight through and get down to around 65 or so. It does have to run pretty slow but it gets it done.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #165
JayberQue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

i brewed a batch today (APA 5 gal extract w/ steeping grains) and was testing the recirc times of my plate chiller, i was hoping to use less water reciulating. I guess once you calculate in the factor of cooling down the equipment, the boil kettle and burner stand, a single pass through the plate chiller into the fermenter is much faster and more aqua economic. i was doing single passes in july with more than satisfactory results using ground temp water. i dont know why i was thinking recirc would be faster. It did seem that recirculating created alot more cold break, atleast what i could see, compared to a sinlge pass into the fermenter. I also used pellets and hop socks for this brew (3oz). If i can get this much clarity(no hops in the fermenter) from using the trub filter, with or without the .3 mm screen, and better hop utilization i would be more than pleased. I am brewing again tomorrow, witbier 5 gal extract w/steeping grains 1oz of hops, and going to do a comparison on chill time and visible cold break with todays brew using single pass. I measured my water through the plate chiller by volume using an old ale pail and it took 35 gallons of water to do the recirc chill. I have a feeling the water will be much less in volume and less visable cold break (even thou that doesnt really amount to anything seeing that all the protiens are still in there). I think i am going to love this filter.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #166
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayberQue View Post
I am brewing again tomorrow, witbier 5 gal extract w/steeping grains 1oz of hops, and going to do a comparison on chill time and visible cold break with todays brew using single pass. I measured my water through the plate chiller by volume using an old ale pail and it took 35 gallons of water to do the recirc chill. I have a feeling the water will be much less in volume and less visable cold break (even thou that doesnt really amount to anything seeing that all the protiens are still in there). I think i am going to love this filter.
How did this go? Was your chilling time/water use better or the same?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #167
JayberQue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

i used a bit less water, only about 25 gallons going single pass. I even chilled it a bit lower than i wanted for pitch temp. Which was the reason i wanted to use recirc to dial in on the pitch temp... its all up in the air for me still... and my trub filter is on the way, cant wait to get it

Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #168
RGingerelli
Recipes 

So I brewed up a batch of IIIPA this weekend and it had about 10oz of hops and it clogged up big time, my question is what is the proper mounting technique? I have seen brewers with it mounted 2 ways, so I'm wondering if I just had it hooked up wrong since the smaller of the 2 pieces clogged up big time with all the hop sediment almost instantly. Any help is great! Cheers!!

Conical #1: Second Runnings IPA
Primary #1-8: IIIPA
Secondary #1-8: Empty

Kegged/On Draft: Holidazed, Bee's ah Buzzing Honey Pale Ale, Nancy's Irish Red
Bottled: Holidazed, Over The Hop 2, Cherimoya Wheat, Watermelon Wheat Squared
On Deck: Lime Ale, Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Porter, Watermelon Wheat, Raspberry Wheat, Rose Belgian Blonde Sour, Watermelon Lambic

Facebook Page:
www.Facebook.com/BungeesJumpinBrewingCo

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #169
JayberQue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Im pretty sure you are supposed to hook up the larger out shell as the input and the insert is actually the output, atleast that's how the demonstration on the web sight was

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #170
LeftTurnOnly
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My experience this weekend...

Hey there guys.... I just used the filter this weekend for my first time... After immersion chilling, it was set up like this. BK>Pump>(small clamp end)Filter(big clamp end)>Fermenter. The filter was being held by hand roughly horizontally over a funnel for our first test. It seemed to clog very quickly to where no liquid was coming out even with the ball valve after the pump being wide open. We eventually took the filter off and just flowed into the funnel to finish the fermenter fill. After finishing and taking the filter apart, it had very little hop matter inside but just enough where pretty much every hole had a tiny amount of hop matter in it.

Granted, this was our first use of it, but not our last....

It kinda sounds like more people are putting the filter before the pump, so i think we'll try that next, and perhaps try and have it be vertical as well. It looks like it'll be great... Just gotta get it dialed in...

Quick Reply