Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Therminator versus Counterflow chillers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
jim4065
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Therminator versus Counterflow chillers

There doesn't seem to be much difference in cost between a Therminator and the Convoluted counterflow chillers. Is the Blichman really harder to clean? It looks like it could be sterilized by baking as easily as the the counterflow could be sanitized by pumping star-san through it. Since the Therminator has been out for awhile, has any one looked at it from a standpoint of weight gain over time? I would think that any significant build-up of garbage would be detectable, whether sterilized or not. Or maybe the capacity in ML of water or the time it takes to cool from say 200 to 100 degrees would change as crud built up inside. Anyway - I'd sure like to hear about it if a Therminator owner has torn an old one down to check it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

First, let me say, I think any CFC is much easier to make sure it's clean after use. The passage ways in a plate chiller are just so small, and if you get lazy, you might end up with problems. But that's not to say you can't keep a plate chiller clean, just that it may require a little more attention/work.

To answer your other question, I doubt anyone's sacrificed a well taken care of $200+ therminator to see what's inside. I think it all depends on how well you clean a plate chiller after use as to what it's going to build up over time. If you counter flush it and then stick it in the oven after every use, I doubt you'll ever have any build up. You're turning anything that might be stuck into soot, right? The oven obviously isn't necessary, since a lot of brewers don't do it to their plate chillers. I like to simply for the extra peace of mind.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Post #5 shows what the inside looks like when sliced open, lots of places for particles to get trapped. Commercial heat exchangers have gaskets between the plates and can be taken apart and cleaned, which you can't do with this one.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/plate-chiller-139151/

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Baking isn't going to get rid of beerstone so running some kind of acid followed by PBW is probably a good routine every 10 batches or so. I know I wouldn't be willing to bake my chiller before every batch. I'm being "good" if I actually clean my boil kettle out between batches.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't bake the chiller. So what if you are turning everything to soot. Are you getting everything out the next time you flush it? If not what good did baking in an oven do?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, and especially for the cut-away view. I'm convinced that a plate chiller can be cleaned well if a hop filter is used, so now all that's left is to agonize over Therminator/Duda. If they do equally well then I can't see where the price difference comes in.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanselv View Post
I wouldn't bake the chiller. So what if you are turning everything to soot. Are you getting everything out the next time you flush it? If not what good did baking in an oven do?
I think soot is probably a lot easier to flush out than sugary, sticky, solid particles.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Baking isn't going to get rid of beerstone so running some kind of acid followed by PBW is probably a good routine every 10 batches or so. I know I wouldn't be willing to bake my chiller before every batch. I'm being "good" if I actually clean my boil kettle out between batches.
I think a flush with a caustic every once in a while is definitely a good idea.

It's also much more important IMO to be pickier about cleaning your CFC/plate chiller than your BK. I bet there's a lot more infections that come from improperly cleaned/sanitized chillers than kettles.
KCoombs Likes This 
Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I dunno, we roast a chicken almost every week. The plate chiller could go for the ride.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

It's like anything in life. If you don't take care of it it will eventually turn to chit.

Guy

Quick Reply