Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temperature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
drost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature Controller

I just picked up one of these for controlling fermentation temps....what do you think?

http://luxproducts.com/thermostats/win100.htm

On sale this week at Menards for $34!

"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is it your intent to use this to maintain an air-conditioner or heater to keep a room at a specific temp? If so, looks like it will do that just fine.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
drost
Recipes 

I've got it inside my fridge now, with a ceramic heater plugged into it. I need to dial it in some (the heater heated up the fridge too quickly), but I think it will maintain temps with no problems.

"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

It only goes down to 45º F. That may not be low enough if you want to use it for lagering.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
drost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
It only goes down to 45º F. That may not be low enough if you want to use it for lagering.
Yeah....I thought of that. But I saw this on the shelf and thought I'd give it a shot. I think it's a quick and easy answer for anyone just doing ales. And, since it goes to 45, you could get pretty close to the lower temps by just using the fridge directly. If I were using a freezer, it obviously wouldn't work.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
2 4 tripping
Recipes 

I am going the freezer route myself and got the temp controller from Beer Beer and More Beer

Trip

Old 12-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Interesting...

It says that the temp differential is adjustable, what kind of settings are available? Could be a decent option if you don't want to lager.

Also, it should work fine on a freezer, as long as you don't need to get below 45F.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
drost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia
Interesting...

It says that the temp differential is adjustable, what kind of settings are available? Could be a decent option if you don't want to lager.

Also, it should work fine on a freezer, as long as you don't need to get below 45F.
The temp differential is adjustable from 1-9 degrees. So far it's been holding my fridge at 68-69 for about 12 hours.

Quick Reply