Tangential inlet placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummermattie02

Reaction score
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a brew kettle with a tangential inlet for whirlpooling and improved cooling using my immersion chiller. My problem is that I'd like to get a 20-gallon kettle so that I can have the option to do 10-gallon (and larger) batches. That being said, at least for the time being, I will mostly be doing 5-gallon batches.

So, to my question: I'd like to place the inlet low enough in the kettle that it is under the surface of a 5-gallon boil to avoid excessive aeration while cooling. However, that will put the inlet well below the surface of a 10-gallon boil - are there any problems with this? Anything I should watch out for? It seems like a pump should produce more than enough flow to get the whole thing whirlpooling, I'm just wondering if anybody has insight on the matter. Thanks!

You could always put in more than one inlet/outlet in your kettle and plug with a SS plug.

Make your inlet adjustable.
I have a 90 degree swagloc and a short piece if 1/2" ss tubing inside the BK for a return.
The swagloc can be rotated downward (tighter) for smaller batches.

Ah, should have clarified. I am specifically interested in the Stout kettle with the tangential inlet option.

http://conical-fermenter.com/products/special-orders/

Admittedly less adjustable/adaptable than a DIY alternative, but it's sexy and the tri-clamp fittings are nice, so that's where I'm at.

Well, La-Di-Da... gotta have a fancy, schmancy store bought piece of equipment, hmmf. :D:D

Have it put in below the 5 gallon level. I don't think there will be much difference once you get the mass moving, it will whirlpool.

The only issue I see is that when cooling more than 5 gallons, you will be pulling hot wort from the bottom and returning cool wort mid level. I think the further apart your inlet and return are, the better off you'd be but, I don't think it will be a huge issue.

Ed

Ah, should have clarified. I am specifically interested in the Stout kettle with the tangential inlet option.

http://conical-fermenter.com/products/special-orders/

Admittedly less adjustable/adaptable than a DIY alternative, but it's sexy and the tri-clamp fittings are nice, so that's where I'm at.

My whirlpool tank is equipped with two inlets, but not required.
The pump I use is strong enough to do the job with the lowest mounted inlet.

Whirlpool only tank
Whirlpool_InLeft3.jpg

Whirlpool_Inside2.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Could you get it angles slightly up and positions under the 5 gal level (enough that it doesn't come shooting up out of the liquid for 5 gal batchs. That should get a bit more mixing going on.

And damn ClaudiusB, thats one sweet kettle. I am now off to look at more of your brewery pics!

My whirlpool tank is equipped with two inlets, but not required.
The pump I use is strong enough to do the job with the lowest mounted inlet.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Are you using a standard March pump? Or something more high-powered?

Could you get it angles slightly up and positions under the 5 gal level (enough that it doesn't come shooting up out of the liquid for 5 gal batchs. That should get a bit more mixing going on.

I talked to the guy at Stout Kettles, and he had a customer previously with a request identical to mine. I suppose he liked the idea, so he had an extra kettle made with the inlet mounted low for 5 and 10 gallon batches. Upside: quicker availability. Downside: less customization.

I also think that the mixing does not have to be vigorous, as long as the circular motion is maintained throughout the volume of liquid. Even a low inlet should have this effect on a 10 gallon batch.

Are you using a standard March pump? Or something more high-powered?

I use a TEEL sealles centrifugal canned pump, 316 SS head, 3/4" inlet/outlet, 230° F.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Seems like you may be brewing a bit above the homebrew level :) For my purposes, and volumes, you think a March 809 will have enough juice?

I'd say, have you had a look at the photos? Are you running a commercial operation there ClaudiusB, what with a bottling line and all.
Looks like a very sweet setup :mug:

Back