Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #2001
Alchemy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgodilovebeer View Post
Dinnerstick brings it strong! Thanks or that, it answered a question I was going to ask about stirring the mash.
Just be sure if you are stirring the mash and are in manual mode (or even in program) that the pump is OFF.

It may sound stupid but i made this mistake somehow and ended up with a ton of grain being pushed out and into the system. Had to turn everything off. Strain it, clean everything and put the wort back in and shovel soggy grain back into the malt pipe. A very time costly mistake.
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #2002
TheDecline
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
you can improve on this a lot. you must be getting 60-65% efficiency? how much grain are you using? i just posted a couple days ago (sorry to repeat) 81% efficiency to get 25L of 1.069 wort post 60 minute boil, using 6.86 kg grain total. for a 20L batch i can get into the high 1.070's easily. some things to consider trying perhaps: adjust your crush, maybe try the exact same mash with a finer or coarser crush and see how it changes your efficiency. stir the mash frequently, 3-4 times in a 60 minute mash is a minimum. for sure this helps a lot. i always do a small protein rest, i have no idea if this helps efficiency. mash with the lowest amount of water you can circulate and sparge as slowly as possible, get your volumes just right so the sparge gets you exactly to your pre-boil volume. i also like to add specialty grains that don't need mashing at the end (last 10 minutes) of the mash.
it's worth noting that the instructions in the manual are for no-sparge brewing.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try stirring the mash more frequently to see what happens. As for milling, I have basically been using my barley crusher at fairly close to the default; around .040. I haven't changed it much since i'v been using my BM as it was what worked best on my old 3 vessel setup. What do you mill at?

Also, the numbers I mentioned were pre-boil not post boil. I think I should try starting with less water and maybe sparging more. I just figured the point of the BM is to not have another pot on the stove so my sparge has been limited to usually around 2L from my kettle which means starting my mash around 27L if im doing a 90min boil to achieve a full 20L batch. This is also partly because of how much I leave behind in the trub.

I have an idea for a whirlpool system but I'm not sure how well it would work. Ideally I would like to have a small inline pump attached to two SS lines, one which would draw from the middle of the pot near the top of the liquid level and the other end discharging on the side to create the whirlpool and and piece of steel to support it all resting horizontally across the top of the pot.

I just don't know if I can find a proper pump that will be small and light and self priming and food safe for a reasonable price and if it will prime totally dry. My other thought was putting in a drill pump. Otherwise, I could always change out the OE spigot and put in a 3/4 SS ball valve and attach a pump to that and then plumb it up over the top and back down to whirlpool.

Thoughts?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #2003
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

$80 CAD/USD is about as good a deal as you're likely going to find on a high temp pump IMO.

http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html

...and you can always keep it familiar

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=...All-Categories

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_sacat...=ecocirc&rt=nc

Keeping in mind that these are designed for residential hot water applications according to the manufacturer's site ( http://www.deutsche-vortex.de/index.php?id=103&L=1 ) Boiling, high SG liquid may not be ideal, but it may be worth sending an email to the company if you're thinking about one of these.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #2004
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

How about something like this?

image-2260025296.jpg

(Forgive the crude sketch...it's early)

Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #2005
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Speidel should use this in their marketing...

img_2018.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #2006
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

I brewed my second batch today, an APA for a friend and have never hit numbers that closely before! ...so in love with this machine.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2007
TheDecline
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgodilovebeer View Post
How about something like this?

Attachment 113387

(Forgive the crude sketch...it's early)
Yeah thats basically what I was thinking. I tried to draw it with text but it didnt turn out right

A few feet of SS tubing, a pump and some fittings would be all you need. Im just not sure how these pumps handle solid particles. The magnetic drive one should be okay but maybe using some sort of hop strainer would be ideal. I think i'm going to build this

Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #2008
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecline View Post
Yeah thats basically what I was thinking. I tried to draw it with text but it didnt turn out right

A few feet of SS tubing, a pump and some fittings would be all you need. Im just not sure how these pumps handle solid particles. The magnetic drive one should be okay but maybe using some sort of hop strainer would be ideal. I think i'm going to build this
Keep us updated

Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #2009
pjk49202
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Pulled the trigger on a 50l tonight. No more moving half the garage to brew for me! Damn growing family takes up alot of space ya know?......

Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #2010
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk49202 View Post
Pulled the trigger on a 50l tonight. No more moving half the garage to brew for me! Damn growing family takes up alot of space ya know?......
Not sure what system you brewed on before, but, it's great to see how little space your brewery takes up after getting the BM. I've gotta get going on a brewing garage sale (pots, cooler, burner, blah blah blah).

Quick Reply