The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Remote probe thermometer wort proofing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #51
Hegh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I ended up using dish soap, but I must have used too much because the tubing kept sliding around after I'd slid it on (went on really really easily, too). So I had to tie a knot at the top of the tubing, with the cable inside, to keep it from sliding around any more.

Seems to be working fine with the dish soap in there, so I'm not too worried. Getting those o-rings on it was very tough, and I doubt it's really water tight, but I really just want it to be safe in case it slips into some liquid and I grab it immediately. Not going to soak this thing at all (I'd probably get some dish soap out if I did).

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #52
jp1316
Recipes 

my attempt to put the silicone tubing from the pet store did not go smoothly at first, but then I accidentally pulled the cord out of the probe and just put the tubing on. I then pushed the cord back in the probe and tested it in boiling water and it seemed to work just fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #53
Hegh
Recipes 

I used the flexible rubbery tubing (it might be called surgical tubing) instead of the clear vinyl stuff.

On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #54
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just used my "wort proofed" probe this weekend and it worked like a charm. Submerged in the mash and all. I used #68 o-rings (couldn't find 70 in three different stores). With one under the tubing and two over I don't see much of anything getting int here. Good work Bobby!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #55
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

so when you do this wort proofing, can you just leave it in the wort during the boil, or do you have to take your reading and take it out?

I left mine in without doing that and now it reads 123 degrees at room temperature. Will the baking idea fix this or is this one shot

Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #56
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNatic View Post
so when you do this wort proofing, can you just leave it in the wort during the boil, or do you have to take your reading and take it out?

I left mine in without doing that and now it reads 123 degrees at room temperature. Will the baking idea fix this or is this one shot
Baking fixed mine, but all I had in mine was sanitizer solution. Not sure if the sugars in Wort would continue to affect the thermoprobe afterwards, but I doubt they'd make any real difference.

Couldn't tell if you'd already wort-proofed your probe from your post, but if so, you may not want to leave the tube on there when you bake it.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #57
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see a point in reading a boiling temp (boiling happens at 212º). I use the thermometer for mash temps.

And yes, the baking idea should fix. I had the same issue before wort proofing and it worked like a charm.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #58
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't know many people who can claim they've completely submerged the probe and wire without having a "misfire" reading afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's a moisture thing that messes with the thermocouple reading. If you're going to put this probe in liquid often, you really should waterproof it as I outlined.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #59
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

cool! thanks. I did it for an extract batch and left it in while i was steeping at 153 and then i turned it up to 170 for a quick dunk for a BS partial mash.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #60
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I don't know many people who can claim they've completely submerged the probe and wire without having a "misfire" reading afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's a moisture thing that messes with the thermocouple reading. If you're going to put this probe in liquid often, you really should waterproof it as I outlined.
I just thought they were already waterproof.. so much for that idea

Quick Reply