Looking for a burner that can handle 15+ gallons of wort... advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a 226 gallon kettles. Trying to start doing 12 gallon batches an might move to to more later.

Would this edelmetall-bru-burner be a good choice. Want to get to a boil quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG64RQE...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7miftqwhz3_e

I was looking at this burner too. I just built converted a keg and need something solid and with enough power. I was thinking about about Blichmann burner but Morebeer shows a 3-5 week lead time from blichmann. I saw these one Northern Brewer for $139.99 plus $7.99 shipping. I think I'm about to buy one.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners-1/edelmetall-bru-burner.html

I got a Bayou Classic Sp1, it's 180,000 btu and has plenty of head room on the burner. I only do five gallon batches presently, but it's for capable of doing much larger volumes. I got mine from amazon, and it works great. And much cheaper then the one your looking at and a lot more btu.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just sold my sp1 today. It's good but it doesn't hold a keggle without modification. Plus it lives up to the name jet burner (it's super loud). I was going to buy the KAB6 but I see too many comments about the burner being mounted too low.

I ordered the Bru Burner today so I report on it when I receive it and brew a 11 gallon batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was looking at this burner too. I just built converted a keg and need something solid and with enough power. I was thinking about about Blichmann burner but Morebeer shows a 3-5 week lead time from blichmann. I saw these one Northern Brewer for $139.99 plus $7.99 shipping. I think I'm about to buy one.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners-1/edelmetall-bru-burner.html

You can't beat the Blichmann for quality, efficiency, and quiet operation. One of the best brewing purchases I've ever made!

You can't beat the Blichmann for quality, efficiency, and quiet operation. One of the best brewing purchases I've ever made!

I probably should have been more patient and waited for the Blichmann but I'm hoping the Bru Burner will be close

I got the edelmetall burner today. This thing is pretty! It's also much bigger and heavier than I imagined. I installed the gas line and regulator and fired it up. I haven't boiled anything yet but I'm sure it won't taken long to get 14 gallons of wort to a boil!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405626361.345136.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405626374.309840.jpg

I am sure this is a really dumb question, but I've been doing a bunch of research on this and the things I am reading are inconclusive. Is there really a difference between the BG14, the Bru and the Blichmann? Or is the entire difference the housing? I'm getting ready to buy the kettles and burners for a NG stand, but I want to make certain I do the right thing. I'm looking at 15-20-20 for HLT-MLT-BK with the thought of doing mostly 10 but maybe some 5 and some 15 gallon brews, and want to ensure I don't eff up the burner purchase.

I'm not concerned about windshield since I'll make that or reg since I'm doing NG, but I am concerned about ensuring I have an adjustable burner that I can automate later. I am currently looking hardest at a BG14, but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake ignoring the jet burner or the fancier BG14 look a likes. Thanks!

The burner is the same. I would have bought a Blichmann but didn't want to wait 3-5 weeks. I bought the Bru burner but haven't used it yet. My first impression is that it's a great, very well designed burner that will last for a long time. Plus it was $139.99 shipped from northern brewer

The burner is the same. I would have bought a Blichmann but didn't want to wait 3-5 weeks. I bought the Bru burner but haven't used it yet. My first impression is that it's a great, very well designed burner that will last for a long time. Plus it was $139.99 shipped from northern brewer

Thank you! That's what I've thought, but my sticking point is that I have like 1300 dollars in amazon gift cards so I am buying a bunch of stuff there and I want to make sure I don't screw the kettle and burner purchases up, especially going NG. I am pretty sure I'm doing 3 BG14s with the conversion orifices, and just want to get it right the first time.

Back