Keep it Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich711

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

This may seem like a silly post, but being all the emphasis on sanitization has transformed me into a germaphobe, I will ask it anyway.

On occasion, I seem to need a sterilized or sanitized wipe of some sort. This occurs when all is clean and I have to wipe or dry brew equipment at the last moment.

One example of this need, has presented it’s self to me when I was sealing the yeast starter flask or the carboy fermenter with the bung and air-lock. On two occasions, the bung would slip up and pop out of the flask or carboy. I could not get the bungs to stick in place until I dried the inside of flask or carboy and dried the outside rim of the bung. I am guessing the sanitizing solution is causing the bung to become slightly slippery.

As I dried the point of contact surfaces, I could see the bacteria falling into my brew fueling my germ paranoia.

Anyone using some kind of sterile or very clean wipes that they could recommend? I am guessing they would have to be dry or I would still have the same problem.

Thanks

Rich :confused:

Get an anti-anxiety pill instead. Or learn to rdwhb. Just because we emphasis basic sanitization doesn't mean you have to shave all your hair off, and wear a bod condom to brew in.

RDWHAHB.

Just put some starsan in a spray bottle, and give whatever a few squirts.

You don't need to be a paranoid freak about this stuff. 99.9% of the "infection" posts on here are just freaked out noobs, there are very few actual infections on here.

You should not touch the glass of your yeast starter flask with any cloth at all. If you absolutely must, open a sealed sterile pad and pour some Everclear on it and wipe with that. Then take two swigs of Everclear, and relax.

The best thing to do is to flame the top of your yeast starter flask or jar with a propane torch, then cover with a piece of clean, flamed, foil, just fold it down over the top. You don't need a bung or airlock on a yeast starter.

For your fermenter, do what Revvy said. Just squirt some starsan on it and put the bung back in. If the bung fell on the floor, completely sanitize it for the minimum contact time before re-inserting.

whoa! you can see bacteria? damn, your sight is awesome!
Ditto on Star-San... it's the next best thing to Windex (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

Guess I should stop pitching my yeast outside...
Wonder why the 100's of gallons I've brewed have never been infected? Guess I'm just lucky. I don't have a basement, so I guess I'll just have to hope I stay lucky... :p

My germaphope and raining bacteria rant was my attempt at satire. I can assure that I have well enough beer in reserve to preempt any real anxiety.

I have had a problem of my bungs popping out of the carboy and flask and was trying to find a sanitized way of drying the surfaces so that rubber sticks and seals.

Cheers:mug:

Revvy's advice for the new brewer in terms of worry.

What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

And Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

Great Posts
My first 3 beer attempts have come out quite tasty.

Back