Have you seen the rounded label scraper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMang

Reaction score
I am getting upset. I found a label scraper with a rounded metal edge that contours the bottle very well somewhere on these dang interwebs. Now I cant find it. I am about to go through the painstaking process of scraping labels off and wanted to see if I could buy this and put it off for a few days. I have now done about and hour of HBT/Google research to no avail. I know I have seen it somewhere. Please ease my mind and tell me that someone knows what the hell I am talking about.

forget scraping. soak in warm oxyclean overnight, labels should come right off. green scrubbie if necessary to remove glue residue.

+1 on the hot OxiClean soak. For most bottles, the label just falls off when you pull it out. One glaring exception is DuClaw. They cement their labels on - just recycle those bad boys :)

Scrap labels horizontally rather than vertically. Than you can use a straight blade. I use cheap safety razor blades and throw them out after they get too rusty.

This thread got me wondering.

How do/can you remove the ones that are painted, (for lack of a better term), on?

I have several 22's that have this issue.

pb

I believe a somewhat concentrated solution of Starsan will dissolve the silkscreened labels if the bottles are left to soak for a while. I haven't tried it myself, but have read posts on here saying as much.

I believe a somewhat concentrated solution of Starsan will dissolve the silkscreened labels if the bottles are left to soak for a while. I haven't tried it myself, but have read posts on here saying as much.

Thanks! I may run a test on that idea.

Sounds better than the idea I had and don't wanna try,... paint remover or gasoline. :D

pb

This thread got me wondering.

How do/can you remove the ones that are painted, (for lack of a better term), on?

I have several 22's that have this issue.

pb

Starsan soak and a green Scotch brite pad helps speed it up. Soak for awhile, scrub off what's loose, and repeat.

Nowadays I just toss them. Too much work.

ChefRex said:
Found it in BYO, LabelNator.com. But I too soak with Oxyclean.

BYO! That's right. Thank you soooo much. I already do a soak in hot oxyclean. Some are just a pain though. I have been using a grill scraper with the steel brush side but the remnants get everywhere and it gunks up my water, in turn getting the glue goo in my bottles. This just looked quicker and cleaner. Thanks ChefRex!

Thanks to all for the rapid responses.

Right now my situation is that I keg my beer. I buy so many reference beers that I just tell anyone I give bottles of my beer to, to just chuck the bottles after they drink them. I know some will claim I'm sinning and the beer gods will punish me!:D But if I don't I'll be heavily over run with beer bottles.

So with that said, I'm lazy about label/silk screen removal. I could bottle a whole barrel of beer and have some bottles left over right now.

The only bottles I cherish at this time are the flip tops I've been collecting. Those are only the label type so far.

The only bottling I foresee at this time that I'll be doing for myself is if I brew some really big beers, or some mead. Those I'll probably want to put my labels on. Otherwise the gift beers will be having the original labels/silk screening still on them.

pb --- Thanks again.:rockin::mug:

Back