Flotec Utility Pump for Wort Chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sogrady

Reaction score
After doing a bit of Googling for pumps in order to circulate water through a wort chiller (it being below freezing outside in Maine, I'm worried about using our outside hose hookup for water), I saw a few people say that they'd used the Flotec FP0F360AC Utility Pump.

Picked one up at Home Depot today for ~$85 or so, got home and discovered three unfortunate things in the manual. First, it specifically mentions that the output side shouldn't be under water, which is a problem because that was my plan. Second, the output hose is supposed to be 1/2" - mine is 5/16". Most problematically, it says that the output side shouldn't have any coils in it: an obvious issue if you're using a coiled metal wort chiller.

Sure enough, I tried it out and even after being lubricated with mineral oil, it pumped literally nothing. The input hose was solidly underwater, everything should have been fine, but no joy.

My questions, then, are these:

1. Is anyone successfully using this device? I.e. did I get a bad unit or is it because I'm using it against instructions?
2. Assuming no one is and I return it, does anyone have a pump they recommend? I'm looking at this one instead:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-6-HP-Submersible-Utility-Pump-FP0S1300X/100178274

Any and all help appreciated.

I have been using the one you linked at the end of your post successfully for several years.

I used it to cool with IC, before I switched to CFC. I bought one of those cheap plastic kitchen garbage cans, fled with salt, water, and ice, worked a treat.

I also use it with a homemade attachment and bucket for a keg/corney/Carboy washer

image.jpg

Awesome, thank you. I'll guess I'll just swap them out tomorrow. Much appreciated!

Picked up the Flotec FP0S1300X per @Mike_kever_kombi's recommendation and can confirm it works. One important note, however, and this is possibly why the FP0F360AC didn't work as well, if you have 5/16" tubing on your chiller as I did, you'll need to swap it to 3/8". The former diameter is apparently just too small for the pump to operate. Switched on, the pump would push no water.

While the FP0S1300X claims to only work with a 3/4" hose, it runs fine here with 3/8" - just not 5/16".

Thanks again, @Mike_kever_kombi.

No problem.

Another thing I did was to add hose fittings on the end of my IC, I was then able to use 3/4" washer hoses. One connected to pump, and another to outlet on IC (just to direct water into coolers and such for cleaning).

This upped the flow rate tremendously, which in turn lowered time to cool.

image.jpg

Should have thought of this while I was at Home Depot. Ah well, next time!

Back