Can I taste this pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
Hi,

I have read somewhere that brass can give a metallic taste in the beer?
Do you think this will be the case for this pump?

0180729.jpg

Cheers,
walther

I don't know for sure, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that pump would leach any noticable tastes into your beer. Plenty of people use brass fittings with no problems at all.

thank you,

Why should it be magnetically coupled?

I think it is a centrifugal pump, found it on www.brouwland.com

I was hoping it would be powerfull enough to make a proper whirlpool?

Cheers,
walther

Magnetic pumps were designed to be food grade in that there is no shaft connectiing directly to the impeller. The Impeller is magneticly coupled. If you buy the ones the LBHS sells they are also for hot liquids. I would use the proper pump so your beer will not get infected.

Magnetically coupled is the way that the pump is driven. The pump is turned by magnets outside the housing. This means that there is no contact between the fluid and the drive mechanism. This is the type of pump you want to use for food type applications. A standard centrifugal pump without a mag drive is not sanitary enough for beer use.

I have seen a few magnetically coupled, but they seem a bit small ~18W

So the problem would be when pumping the cooled wort, due to infection?

cheers,
walther

I suppose infection "could" be a concern but, I don't really see why a centrifugal pump would be any harder to clean than a magnetically coupled pump.

That said, the main difference between the two that I see and may explain some off flavors, is lubrication. Being that the centrifugal pump is mechanically coupled by a shaft I would be most concern about leeching of lubricant (oil) into the liquid in the housing.

I can understand your concers, but what about professional pumps like this?

0180800.jpg

I have only seen small magnetically coupled pumps?

Does anyone use a this type of pump?

cheers,
walther

Here's the March Pump specs:

A high-quality, inexpensive wort pump.
This 1/25 horsepower magnetic drive seal-less pump has a polysulfone head, rated for food grade use up to 250° F.
It has a maximum flow rate of 7.2 gallons per minute, and a maximum head of 12.1 feet.
The head has 1/2" MPT inlets and outlets.
The motor housing is not drip-proof, so you should locate the pump in a dry location.

That's what you are looking for.

I guarantee you, If there was a similarly priced, widely available pump, people here would be all over it.

The only promising pump I can think of that you might be use is a de-commisioned laboratory peristaltic pump. Seems to be $300 - $400 price point on those.

Oh and no tasting or licking the pump.

[youtube]N5dnVlbKgoM[/youtube]

Back