Zyurgy Nov / Dec 2014 issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVP

Reaction score
Hey all,
Is it just my issue or all the issues that are messed up?
I have duplicate pages and missing pages, after page 12 I have page 21, then 28 followed by 21 again, then 68 followed by 61, then 68 followed by 77.

That's what BYO is for.....

Craft Beer and Brewing is actually pretty solid if you can get past the hipsterness of it.

I looked through mine a bit last night - I think it was all in order. I am sure if shoot them an e-mail they will send you a new one pronto.

Not to derail this thread entirely but has anyone had difficulty getting onto the AHA forum? I am consistently getting a privacy error stating that their site certificate is bad. I'm getting this error in Firefox and Chrome.

Yeah, your mug was in there. How come you lost?

Short version: I guess the BOS judges liked the other two beers better? ;)

Longer version: Hard to say. Once you win your category, there's no telling how BOS will go. In this particular case, my beer was about 15 months old whereas it's peak is 9-12 months (Strong Scotch Ale). It was showing a little bit of oxidation (sherry-like) and that combined with the maillard products can produce raisin and plum-like flavors that can throw some people off, so although it was a very enjoyable scotch ale, it wouldn't necessarily do well against a couple of crisper and fresher beers. The 2nd place BOS also won a gold for that beer at NHC Final Round, so it's obviously nothing to sneeze at.

There were a couple other factors that may or may not have played a part. One of the BOS judges had a strong scotch ale so they may have been disappointed by the fact that their beer didn't win (it took 2nd in category). The sponsoring brewery committed to brewing the winning beer on their system for commercial purposes. My beer wouldn't have been an option in their state without some modification due to ABV restrictions. Ultimately, though, I don't know if I would consider 3rd place BOS losing, but YMMV. :mug:

Short version: I guess the BOS judges liked the other two beers better? ;)

Longer version: Hard to say. Once you win your category, there's no telling how BOS will go. In this particular case, my beer was about 15 months old whereas it's peak is 9-12 months (Strong Scotch Ale). It was showing a little bit of oxidation (sherry-like) and that combined with the maillard products can produce raisin and plum-like flavors that can throw some people off, so although it was a very enjoyable scotch ale, it wouldn't necessarily do well against a couple of crisper and fresher beers. The 2nd place BOS also won a gold for that beer at NHC Final Round, so it's obviously nothing to sneeze at.

There were a couple other factors that may or may not have played a part. One of the BOS judges had a strong scotch ale so they may have been disappointed by the fact that their beer didn't win (it took 2nd in category). The sponsoring brewery committed to brewing the winning beer on their system for commercial purposes. My beer wouldn't have been an option in their state without some modification due to ABV restrictions. Ultimately, though, I don't know if I would consider 3rd place BOS losing, but YMMV. :mug:

Nice, I was just effing with you. That's pretty funny you ran into a bitchy judge with a grudge.

Nice, I was just effing with you. That's pretty funny you ran into a bitchy judge with a grudge.
He wasn't that bitchy but the raisin factor did throw him off. We discussed it later since we had carpooled with a couple other judges. He had a hard time putting a descriptor on it until I said it.

Back