Zima Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrevino

Reaction score
I know that this is not your average beverage and many are probably saying wtf, but my wife loved that stuff. So if anyone has a recipe or process for making it please let me know.

Sorry, this is a beer forum...

and a wine forum... and a cider forum... and a mead forum...

It's a homebrew forum. As long as your of age and not distilling, I would think this is the place to ask that question. That being said I have no clue how to make Zimma. Zorry I can't zay more to help ;)

mumblegrumble... zima?

What about a hard lemonade instead? Or a nice (sweet) cider or braggot?

I know that some women can be hard to please with regards to their beverage of choice, but is this something you really want to spend time brewing?

Is there any way you can broaden her horizons some?

Many years ago I used to buy 22 oz bottles of Zima, drink them halfway down, and then fill them, with vodka for a half and half mix. Dangerous stuff, but I always have a soft spot in my heart for Zima.

and a wine forum... and a cider forum... and a mead forum...

It's a homebrew forum. As long as your of age and not distilling, I would think this is the place to ask that question. That being said I have no clue how to make Zimma. Zorry I can't zay more to help ;)

Thanks. I too agree tha this is a homebrew forum and not just a beer forum.

She does like some ciders but we just had a baby and lately shes been talking about zima so i thought that i would just try and do something nice for her. Plus it helps defend the hobby and cash flow into it.

Im going to try the clone recipe on brewjobs and see how it comes out... By the way, is that site a beer only site? Wierd thing is there is a Zima clone recipe there.

Aw I'm just busting your nutz. But I got distracted by my work and didn't get a chance to look up exactly what Zima was made of. I remember it came and went just before I started drinking.

I'm guessing it's just a wine cooler of some sort, but let me see what I can dig up. I've always been curious to know what it tasted like.

I'm guessing it's just a wine cooler of some sort, but let me see what I can dig up. I've always been curious to know what it tasted like.

It was marketed as an alternative to wine coolers, according to Wikipedia... but it's definitely similar in character.

My first ever taste of booze was Zima, a friend had that and some other BMC swill hidden under her bed. hahaha...

(Edit: Took out some suggestions as I changed my mind -- what's been said already is better than what I was gonna say)[/url]

Ah, I'm wrong on the dates that it was available. It's newer than I thought and there is no excuse for me not trying it (other than not having the cajones to actual walk through the checkout with it in my hands...)

But, it seems that it's still being made! The Zima Company is in La Crosse, WI. Coors stopped making it in 2008, so I assume that the new company purchased the recipe from Coors, or at least the name. They call it a malt beverage, which is the same designation that I've seen on all of the wine coolers out there.

Apparently it was one of the original wine coolers, and the process to make it was described as making cheap beer, and running it through a charcoal filter and then adding some citrus flavor back in.

The question I would ask is which version did she like? According to the article I read, there were different stages of Zima and a couple of types.

Some more research indicates that the "new" zima is most likely the old, discontinued Zima. The website copyright is 2008, which is when the brand was dropped. The address is WI, but I suspect it's the same thing that was produced in Boulder, CO by Coors.

My girlfriend used to drink this back when I lived in the states.

And as I remember it, it simply tasted like an overly sweet sprite.

I would use a still spirit like vodka when making something like a wine cooler, I make a killer ginger ale that way and would not go through the hassle of fermenting one.

Back