Zesty Peel Citrus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan-Dard

Reaction score
Hi all!

I wanting to make a Zesty, Citrusy IPA (Elvis Juice meets Tangerine Dream and more!, around 5%ish. Using extract malts and hops, 23l. 14 EBC.

I have to my disposal, Fresh Oranges and Tangerines, Lemons and Limes for zest. Orange vodka tincture extract, candied citrus pieces.

My questions are;

1. When adding fresh zest, should it be boiled first, and for how long to retain maximum flavour? Does boiling remove the oils, if too much oil is present, will it flatten the beer?

2. When would it be best to add any of these ingredients, at the start and leave it in the ferment, or in a mesh bag for a set time period? Is it best to add them all at the start and just let them ferment and create flavours?

3. When adding candied/syrup citrus pieces, should I reduce the amount of malt sugar to tally?

4. When bottling, could I use the Citrus Syrup?

5. Hop Choice? Im thinking; Amarillo, Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Galena, Motueka

Thank you kindly in advance. :)

Last edited:
That beer sounds delicious. I love orange and zesty stuff.

I would add zest last 5 min of the boil

I've never used candied syrup before

I would add your tincture right before bottling

Amarillo all the way . Mandarin Bavaria is another one that would go well . Anything with orange , citrus notes will complement

Just make sure you dont use the pith

Ive made some citrus tinctures from vodka and rum, id like to try add that.

Ill add some zest last 5 days of ferment too. :)

Like you question w ginger, I think you'd be best served by making tincture of zest in vodka and add at bottling. I have done this with keg of lackluster blue moon clone, adding vodka soaked orange zest to brighten up the orange flavor. Be careful, it is quite easy to overdo and end up with a "shandy" like result, which may be fine if that's your aim.

Back