Zero Tolerance Gluten Free Homebrew Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score

Zero Tolerance Gluten Free Homebrew Club

A Gluten Free Homebrew Club based in Portland OR.
Meeting Monthly, the last Sunday of each month.
Ground Breaker Brewing
2030 SE 7th Ave, Portland, OR 97214

If you are local please join us for our inaugural meeting Sunday 1/28 at 2pm

Whether you can attend our meetings or not, please feel free to join our FB group page for announcements and GF brewing discussion
http://www.facebook.com/groups/ZeroToleranceGF/

There has been some good discussion on the FB page lately regarding mash regimes. I'd recommend joining if you have not already.

There has been some good discussion on the FB page lately regarding mash regimes. I'd recommend joining if you have not already.

Thanks. I appreciate you saying so.

Things are really picking up since HomebrewCon. I am hoping some folks from Homebrewtalk will join the conversation there, because we can always use different voices from every level of experience.

Thanks, Joe. I don't have a FB account, but I lurk using my wife's. I just saw your 'shout out' post. The more conversion about mashing regimes/enymes and body/head the better. I've also been in contact with Bob via email and have used his process for my last two brews. He was very helpful. I'll be tasting one of those beers on Saturday. Hoping to see some improvements!

I generally avoid FB these days, but I'll have to check it out. It's interesting that we have these different little communities with different discussion.

Thanks. I understand not everyone is into FB (especially these days). I am working on ways to do a better job getting the club content out to more people.

In fact, the next meeting is about brainstorming those ideas. There will be a physical meeting at Ground Breaker Brewing in Portland Sunday 7/29 2p-3p PDT. And I am working on a way to invite people to conference in remotely.

Also, I am trying to maintain the blog www.zerotolerancebrewing.com as a better resource. We should have more stuff going up there soon and I am actively pursuing people to contribute ideas and posts. Let me know if you have ideas for the blog.

I've been wanting to draw HBT into the club more. There are smart and experienced people here. But getting a club up and running in time for HomebrewCon was a real challenge. Now that it's over and we found success there, our job to work on better club outreach.

I will update here when I have a better idea of the format we will be distributing the July 29 meeting.

I am not a local but in Portland for a wedding this weekend. Going to visit a few tap rooms. Deschutes, Groundbreaker, Cider Bites... any others I should check out?

I am not a local but in Portland for a wedding this weekend. Going to visit a few tap rooms. Deschutes, Groundbreaker, Cider Bites... any others I should check out?

Hey, I've actually heard a bit about you from some of our club members... Good things, too.

The places you mentioned are good places to check out. I haven't been to Deschutes since my diagnosis, but a celiac buddy went there recently and said they had a GF beer on tap (The real deal, not gluten reduced)

The places you should hit:
  • John's Marketplace has bottles from every local GF brewery in stock (GB, Evasion, Moonshrimp and Bierly)
  • If you have access to a car and time on Saturday, Evasion is worth the trip to McMinnville. Ben is doing amazing things out there and generally takes time with GF brewers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the stage at GABF this year with some of those beers.
  • Saraveza usually has a few good bottles or cans of GF beer in stock.
As far as restaurants:
  • Cultured Caveman has good GF food and is on a pretty cool street.
  • Butterfly Belly has good GF Asian-Fusion and dedicated GF taplines.
  • There are great bakeries (New Cascadia, GF Gem and Petunia's Pies)

Those are the things that come to mind. Too bad it's this weeknd and not 7/29, we've had some out of town visitors to meetings and that's always fun.

Oh...one last thing, if Sunday is an option for you to hit Ground Breaker, that's the best day. They have fried chicken dinner on Sundays and it's the best.

Also, I am trying to maintain the blog www.zerotolerancebrewing.com as a better resource. We should have more stuff going up there soon and I am actively pursuing people to contribute ideas and posts. Let me know if you have ideas for the blog.

I just read the End Game IPA post, you have some great detail there! One comment, it looks like you added your thermo-stable enzymes (SEBAmyl BAL 100/Termamyl) after the gelatinization step. I think the consensus here is that those enzymes should be in the mash from the beginning, so you get their benefit throughout all of your rests, including the high temp gelatinization.

This is reflected in glutenfreehomebrewing.org's step-mash tutorial, although I don't see a consensus here for their low temperature (163F) or timing (90-120 mins) for the gelatinization. I think you are right to go up to 180 for a shorter period.

I just read the End Game IPA post, you have some great detail there! One comment, it looks like you added your thermo-stable enzymes (SEBAmyl BAL 100/Termamyl) after the gelatinization step. I think the consensus here is that those enzymes should be in the mash from the beginning, so you get their benefit throughout all of your rests, including the high temp gelatinization.

This is reflected in glutenfreehomebrewing.org's step-mash tutorial, although I don't see a consensus here for their low temperature (163F) or timing (90-120 mins) for the gelatinization. I think you are right to go up to 180 for a shorter period.

Are those enzymes not denatured at that high temp? That 180 was my initial infusion. I did not add enzymes until the second (cold) infusion that lowered to 164f for that reason.

Hi joetothemo,
Sorry to hijack your post! Thanks for the input!!! Went to Deschutes last night straight from the airport. Had a great GF brew on tap, a Dungeness crab roll and fries all GF! First GF beer on tap I had was at Deschutes 6 or 8 years ago.
Probably Ground Breaker today for lunch.

Termamyl's optimum temp is 90C=194F according to this. From my understanding, the whole point of using Termamyl or SEBAmyl BAL 100 is that they break down starches at higher temps, which can then be converted by your regular enzymes at lower temperatures.

Are those enzymes not denatured at that high temp? That 180 was my initial infusion. I did not add enzymes until the second (cold) infusion that lowered to 164f for that reason.

Thanks to your comment, I have done my own googlin' and learned that Termamyl is stable up to 194f. I will be brew a red ale this weekend and perform my normal routine *with* the Termamyl in the high temp rest and report back.

Thanks for the tip. Look at me, goin online and learning new things.

Termamyl's optimum temp is 90C=194F according to this. From my understanding, the whole point of using Termamyl or SEBAmyl BAL 100 is that they break down starches at higher temps, which can then be converted by your regular enzymes at lower temperatures.

Thanks for that tip. I will be trying that out Saturday

Hey Joe, I just joined the facebook group (Ben Fowler). Looks like another great community and I'm happy to see what you're doing over there. I like the blog idea as well, as it's a nice neat place to read the articles. Portland has been on SWMBO and my trip list for a while (so much great GF). I will have to coordinate the trip to land on the last weekend of the month that we go and drop by.

Outside of that, do you post a summary of every months meeting on the blog/FB?

Hey Joe, I just joined the facebook group (Ben Fowler). Looks like another great community and I'm happy to see what you're doing over there. I like the blog idea as well, as it's a nice neat place to read the articles. Portland has been on SWMBO and my trip list for a while (so much great GF). I will have to coordinate the trip to land on the last weekend of the month that we go and drop by.

Outside of that, do you post a summary of every months meeting on the blog/FB?

We have not been as good at that as we should. We recorded the "Fermentables" meeting and that was popular.

We are having a meeting 7/29 to discuss how to better go about distributing the meeting content. I am working on making it so everyone can participate either via audio or livestream.

Gave you a shoutout on the blog piece thanking you for calling this to my attention. I will be brewing another beer tomorrow and using Termamyl at the 180f rest and documenting the effects. Thanks for letting me know about this. Is the same true of the BAL-100? I have to admit I feel like I am flying a little blind with some of the enzyme additions.

Just got back from Ground Breaker. Tried everything they had and got a tour of the brewery. Very cool. They mentioned the Zero Tolerance GF Homebrew Club and had good thing to say! I liked the Pale ale and IPA No. 5 the best. Had a pint of the No. 5 for lunch at Teote around the corner.

Just got back from Ground Breaker. Tried everything they had and got a tour of the brewery. Very cool. They mentioned the Zero Tolerance GF Homebrew Club and had good thing to say! I liked the Pale ale and IPA No. 5 the best. Had a pint of the No. 5 for lunch at Teote around the corner.
That is awesome. Do you remember who gave you your tour? We love those guys, they have been so helpful in getting the club established.

Gave you a shoutout on the blog piece thanking you for calling this to my attention. I will be brewing another beer tomorrow and using Termamyl at the 180f rest and documenting the effects. Thanks for letting me know about this. Is the same true of the BAL-100? I have to admit I feel like I am flying a little blind with some of the enzyme additions.

Thanks! Everything I've learned has been from this forum and glutenfreehomebrewing, so the thanks goes out to everyone.

I don't know the specifics of BAL-100, but yes it is supposed to be a substitute for Termamyl, according to glutenfreehomebrewing.

Just so you're aware, SEBAmyl L (the low temp enzyme) also has substitutes, such as AMG-300L and Diastase.

Hi Joe, thanks for all of your work getting the word out about gluten free home brewing! More folks brewing GF is just going to make all of our beer better. And I'm sure we would all love to have the club members add to the discussions here, too. (I did join the facebook group but have since deactivated my FB account)

--Rob

That is awesome. Do you remember who gave you your tour? We love those guys, they have been so helpful in getting the club established.

Don’t remember his name. Thin medium height guy with a ZZ Top beard. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable about Ground Breaker brewing and about home-brewing in general.

Thanks! Everything I've learned has been from this forum and glutenfreehomebrewing, so the thanks goes out to everyone.

I don't know the specifics of BAL-100, but yes it is supposed to be a substitute for Termamyl, according to glutenfreehomebrewing.

Just so you're aware, SEBAmyl L (the low temp enzyme) also has substitutes, such as AMG-300L and Diastase.

Sir!

(Thanks for the tip)

Attachments

• 3E060DA3-4DEF-48CD-B71C-241DD8AF9B0F.jpeg
    3E060DA3-4DEF-48CD-B71C-241DD8AF9B0F.jpeg
    1,011 KB · Views: 86
Interesting photo! Can you explain?

I suppose I should...

Last week, I brewed and blogged about it. I had an issue with wort that was cloudy, but passed iodine.

Jmath suggested I add my Termamyl during the hot rest I was taking (180-185f). Then add my SebAmyl enzymes in the sacc range. Previously I struck hot with no enzymes and backed it down to 164 for enzymes.

I took Jmaths advice and the result was the clear wort you see in the photo. That is my recirc after 30 min vorlauf.

Cleanest wort I’ve seen since going GF.

I suppose I should...

Last week, I brewed and blogged about it. I had an issue with wort that was cloudy, but passed iodine.

Jmath suggested I add my Termamyl during the hot rest I was taking (180-185f). Then add my SebAmyl enzymes in the sacc range. Previously I struck hot with no enzymes and backed it down to 164 for enzymes.

I took Jmaths advice and the result was the clear wort you see in the photo. That is my recirc after 30 min vorlauf.

Hey Joe. How long are your rests? I'm definitely going to try this on my Pale Ale that I'm brewing in a couple weeks. I need to get some Termamyl first. I think we're both using similar mashing gear. I use a large rectangular Coleman cooler with a Brew Bag as a mash tun. Right now I don't have a spare arm or a pump to do a proper vorlauf so getting the wort to clear has been a bit of an issue.

Also Joe - why do you use 185 for gelatinization? Alot of guys here use 170. Is there an added benefit in going higher?

Excellent!

Also Joe - why do you use 185 for gelatinization? Alot of guys here use 170. Is there an added benefit in going higher?

I'm curious about this too. I honestly can't remember why we landed on 170. 185 could in fact be better, considering "maximum activity" for Termamyl is around 194F. It could simply be that 15 minutes at 170 (what I've been doing) is more than enough time/temp for Termamyl to do its thing, and it's just easier to get back to 150 afterwards.

Rice, millet, and buckwheat all have slightly different gelatinization temps and 168 to 170 hits all of them without going too high.

I suppose I should...

Glad you are getting some benefits from termamyl. It changed my process also. I am still considering some future improvements in the direction of a proper mash tun. My thoughts were always to implement a gravity system, mostly because I am conscious of being able to keep components clean. Pumps and transfer lines just seem like components difficult to insure remain clean. I would be interested in your setup for recirculation, false bottom etc. For my first partial mash batches, I used a cooler with a manifold. I abandoned that early on because of a few hopelessly stuck filtration experiences, usually involving significant portions of buckwheat. I went to the bag and stayed with it out of convenience. I feel like I am more experienced now and a combination of the bag and a false bottom could get me back to a better filtration setup. I am open to pumps etc. if there is experience that they can be kept clean. Anyway, I would benefit from any experience you care to share.

SEBAmyl Bal 100 is considered a medium temp enzyme, with effectiveness listed at 140-170. I think this makes it great for a single infusion, but the termamyl is much better suited for the initial high-temp rests.

Back