zapap lauter tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too many holes when drilling a zapap lauter tun? I'm just basing my estimate on the pic in Papazian's book.

Drilling those holes is WAY too much work! Go to some discount store(Wally World, Target, whatever) and buy a cheap plastic colander, cut the lip off with a utility knife, and fit it into your bucket just above your spigot. It should fit snug. A lot easier than drilling all those holes.

Dude said:
Just buy a damn cooler! After the stress you get over keeping your mash tun temps, it will be worth it just to get a cooler and call it done.

IMHO.

Yeah what Dude said. That's actually what I have now, I was describing my old system, although I was able to keep temps ok by wrapping my bucket in an old blanket. The cooler does work better though.:)

thanks for the input. However, no one seems to be answering the question. :)

HurricaneFloyd said:
Is there such a thing as too many holes when drilling a zapap lauter tun?
Yes, when you get to the point where drilling one small hole "connects the dots" to create a bigger hole, than you've got two many holes.

Either that, or when you get to 10 thousand holes (in Blackburne, Lancashire).

Bjorn Borg said:
nope..check out my gallery ive got way more holes then papazains...the trick is to not connect the dots...

Wow, St. Pauli Girl..... and a Bulldog!.... wait, what was I looking for? Oh yeah... My lauter tun is done with only minor nerve damage to my right hand. How do I get all the shavings left over that are still stuck to the holes? sandpaper?

HurricaneFloyd said:
Wow, St. Pauli Girl..... and a Bulldog!.... wait, what was I looking for? Oh yeah... My lauter tun is done with only minor nerve damage to my right hand. How do I get all the shavings left over that are still stuck to the holes? sandpaper?

yeah thats the pita part...i used a hole punch thing (i cant think of the tech term for it) and a really sharp knife, and i left alot of 'chads' just hanging, there not so much a problem really...

Bjorn Borg said:
yeah thats the pita part...i used a hole punch thing (i cant think of the tech term for it) and a really sharp knife, and i left alot of 'chads' just hanging, there not so much a problem really...

I'm just worried about getting floaters in my wort in case they were to break away.

I used a power drill. Took me an hour or so and I had hundreds of delightful, little holes. It works a charm and I've had no problems with it.

The little plastic bits, I took off with a sharp blade. Just sliding it over the surface to get the little bits off. There might be a floatie somewhere but I have seen none. :)

My set-up really is pretty damned simple but it still produces what I'd call excellent beer. I think the fact is that while I am looking forward to more special equipment, it's important to note that it really doesn't all have to be that bloody costly.

Fairly simple equipment can produce great beer. After all, it's managed to do so for centuries. :)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Jens-Kristian said:
I used a power drill. Took me an hour or so and I had hundreds of delightful, little holes. It works a charm and I've had no problems with it.

The little plastic bits, I took off with a sharp blade. Just sliding it over the surface to get the little bits off. There might be a floatie somewhere but I have seen none. :)

My set-up really is pretty damned simple but it still produces what I'd call excellent beer. I think the fact is that while I am looking forward to more special equipment, it's important to note that it really doesn't all have to be that bloody costly.

Fairly simple equipment can produce great beer. After all, it's managed to do so for centuries. :)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Well said. But next time do a decoction. :p :rockin:

Dude said:

do what?

Sorry, "Elliot in the Morning" reference there........ DC 101!!!

Dude said:

Well . . . I was originally thinking of doing so as I had heard some good things about it, but then I read a few articles (including Palmer) that suggests that decoction has its main use when brewing Pilsners. I am generally not all that interested in brewing those as I very much prefer ales of various sorts. Not to say I won't use a pilsner malt with a number of other ones, but for now I'm sticking with top-fermented ales I think. :) From what I've heard, it's even relatively few pilsner malts that would benefit substantially from decoction.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Not having the book mentioned above, what size holes (approximately) did you drill? I am trying to make one of these and don't want the holes to be too big and have too much stuff come through or too small have too little come through.

TIA
Chuck

Reviving a thread that's 2.5 years old isn't likely to get you a response. You seriously should buy the book The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing. Its very useful. I would make holes that are 1/8 around.

thanks for the info. I know of a friend who has the book. Is it the one with the "hippy-looking" guy and girl in it?

Chuck

Latest posts

Back