Yuri's Brew Yurt (Hut)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I highly considered gold plating, powder coating has begun.

Powder has been applied to this piece, but not yet cured:

rigpowder.jpg

This piece is curing in the big oven (as I type this, in fact):

rigoven.jpg

EDIT: First piece done, still warm from the oven:

rigcooling.jpg

I built an oven out of square tube, mineral wool insulation, sheet metal, a couple of GE oven heating elements, and a kiln temperature controller. It's 3'x3'x5' and heats up to 400°F in about the same amount of time as the oven in your kitchen.

powdercoatoven.jpg

I built an oven out of square tube, mineral wool insulation, sheet metal, a couple of GE oven heating elements, and a kiln temperature controller. It's 3'x3'x5' and heats up to 400°F in about the same amount of time as the oven in your kitchen.

You're a man of many talents, my friend. (I'd expect no less from someone who uses a pictures of an Arduino as his avatar.)

Dave

Gawd, this is looking great my friend! Man, I love the powder coating! Very many years ago, I powder coated dang near an entire Piper Super Cub piece by piece in my kitchen oven!

With that oven, you are going to be a BIG hit in the neighborhood come next week! I am thinking like what, 30 to 40 turkeys in that thing?

!

Thanks, Lonnie! I hope to post one more pic this evening that'll blow your mind. Gimme an hour or two.

No plans for a mass bird roast in the big oven, but the Big Green Egg will be busy making some tasty smoked turkey.

Thanks, Lonnie! I hope to post one more pic this evening that'll blow your mind. Gimme an hour or two.

No plans for a mass bird roast in the big oven, but the Big Green Egg will be busy making some tasty smoked turkey.

You know, I find this fascinating! So did you get a powder coating gun? A kit?

Man, you and I only live a few hundred miles down 45 from each other. We should get together! I have been dabbling in "home color anodizing"... Another great metallurgist hobby!

Yea, I'll have the Performer and the WSM working overtime myself!

Holy crap! Not only are you building your brewpub... not only are you powder coating your rig... but you built a freakin' oven so you can do THAT yourself too!

I'd say I feel like an eight year old girl compared to you! You're THE man!

I've been dabbling in powder coating for a couple of years (no, I didn't build the oven just for the brew project). The gun is the the "Pro Deluxe" model from www.eastwood.com. I certainly won't claim to be an expert, but my attempts thus far have turned out nicely.

Lonnie - I make my way over to Houston every now and then. I'll let you know if/when I'm in the area. San Antonio is a decent midpoint - I'd be up for a few beers there, too. I never messed with anodizing, other than to strip it with lye...works great!

The last part that I'm planning on coating this weekend is in the oven. If it turns out, it's gonna rock! (pic shortly)

Here are the results so far. I found a powder called, "Copper Metallic," and I couldn't resist. The mash tun and boiler (steam generator) will get similar treatment, but I'm not quite done with them, yet.

fauxcopper.jpg

fauxcopper.jpg

Yuri -
Can I just say yet again, that is so friggin nice.
Man, what a sweet oven, add a little smoke, bag a deer and wild pig your set for the next year.
Talk about toasted grains!
Somehow I'm always humbled and inspired at the same time. Thanks for the pic's and the great idea's.

great job on the oven and brew stands looks great. I have worked in a powder coating facility for 12 years and you do not wan to cook in a oven that has been used for powder. I can make you very sick. be aware some powder will not stand up to direct heat.:)

CPT, I had a feeling it wouldn't be advisable to cook in a powder oven. Now I know. I didn't have any plans to use it for anything other than shop work, anyway.

I made my chiller today. It's patterned after the one about halfway through this thread. It's not quite as neat and clean as that one, but my attempt at making a plexiglass daisywheel looking separator failed spectacularly (shattered...twice!). There's plenty of room between the lines - it'll be fine. It's made from eight 2' lengths of 1/2" rigid copper pipe, and 2' of 4" PVC. I bought a high flow submersible pump to recirculate ice water through the chiller. I haven't given it a test run yet.

chillerguts.jpg

chillerdone.jpg

With those kind of chillers, I'm afraid of leaving precious wort inside !

But that looks cool. I want one, I want one ;)

Dude...you built your own shell-and-tube heat exchanger?!?! :drunk: :cross:

As a practicing chemical engineer, I am humbled and impressed.

I bow before your superior awesomeness. :D

looks awesome. question- when building a heat exchanger like that does the ice water get pumped through the copper pipe or through the PVC? does it matter?

I friggin' hate this!!

My "dream" was to at some point have a standard ol' brew sculpture with keggles to do 10 gallon batches, along with a kegerator with 2-3 taps.

Then I see this.

Gaaah!

Yuri

I hate you on very special level. You are the reason I feel inadequate as man. :D

Fantastic job. Keep up the good work and thank you for allowing many of us to live vicariously through your sheer awesomeness.

A couple of suggestions on the heat exchanger:
I made mine out of 4" clear PVC with copper tubing coiled inside from one end to the other. Because it is clear PVC I was able to see the huge air bubble that formed in the counterflow space, making the chiller much less efficient until the bubble could be purged out. I suggest you mount the chiller with the discharge at the high point so that air can escape from the outlet, or install a vent hole with a valve on it at the high point. Also, I find the process of sanatizing the tubing a drag. It appears as though you have larger tubing (1/2" ID?) than I do, which will hopefully prevent hop clogs, but that has happened to me too.

I am planning an immersion chiller build now and hope to simplify this part of my process. It kind of kills me because the chiller looks so damn cool on the side of my brewery frame, but it is just not worth it for me anymore.

I just might brew tomorrow. I have a lot of odds and ends to finish. If I don't brew tomorrow, it'll be next weekend for sure.

The brew hut is now connected!

brewhutnet.png

Go Yuri, Go Yuri.
You can do it, just do it.
You can always make a list of improvements and expand that to do list another mile. But you can sleep at night having a fully functional brew hut/Yurt!

Back