Yup…My wife now has validation that I am an Idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
Evening folks,

Its story time!! I’ll keep it short and sweet. I have 5 years experience Homebrewing and at least 3.5 years experience using wide mouth Fermonster Fermenters.I just finished racking an Altbeir from the fermenter to the keg, so it’s clean up time. I start breaking down the equipment, but when I get to the lid, I typically can unscrew it with my hand without a problem but wasn’t able to.

I then go to the garage where I keep the wrench tool for the fermenter lid, run back up stairs, put it on and surely I’m expecting to have it easily finish the job, but the lid won’t budge. I’m 6’2” 230lbs, routinely lift and try as I might, can’t even get it to budge.

My wife comes down to tell me I’m making too much noise, and there she finds me, fermenter inbetween my legs and hunched over, red faced, forehead vein bulging, sweating, looking like a constipated dog in the backyard praying for Jesus. Then she starts laughing…

I get pissed and say “are you kidding me I’ve been wrestling this damn thing for 30 f’in minutes and your going to laugh!” Which she responds with even more laughter. Now I’m extremely pissed and am bout to say something I know I’ll regret and she cuts me off and says… “Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey”…. And goes back up stairs…..

Now I’m trying to figure out how long I’ll hear about this one…

Last edited:
P.S. I do have one of the tools, but I find that if I run some hot water on the lid I can usually spin the lid loose with my hands. It is often easier than running downstairs to get the lid tool. I also find that turning the lid counterclockwise often helps too! ;)

How many beers had you had before realizing this? Hint: don’t say You hadn’t had any, just say you had too many to count LMFAO 🤣
I had two since dinner which was at 6, so I sadly have no excuse except for a brain fart lol

Reminds me of the time I got a flat tire near Siskiyou summit on I-5 one night in the 1970's. I broke two (adjacent!) lug studs off the left side of my Valiant car before finally remembering high-school auto shop wisdom that Chrysler vehicles used reverse threads on the left side for quite a few years.

Dude, that wasn't a fart, that was a full load SHART...

How long before she lets you forget this item??
Certainly embarrassing to say the least lol and never… I know my wife, this story will never go away. Next dinner party we are at I’m going to hear;

“hey babe, (already starting to laugh uncontrollably) tell them about the time you couldn’t get the lid off that beer thing!”

Certainly embarrassing to say the least lol and never… I know my wife, this story will never go away. Next dinner party we are at I’m going to hear;

“hey babe, (already starting to laugh uncontrollably) tell them about the time you couldn’t get the lid off that beer thing!”
Name whatever her favorite brew you make is "Brain Shart" from now on.

Regardless of how many brews you had definitely preface it with "After drinking a few brews".

Thanks for the good story!

We've all done something like that. Not all of us would've admitted it at the time.

screen-shot-2019-01-15-at-8.26.48-am.png

Now we know which one married up :lol: My wife has a list of those mistakes on me ... you're not alone.

If it makes you feel better, a couple months ago, I was going to start bottling from my Fermonster (my wife always helps bottle) and I was struggling like hell to get the lid off. She watched me for a few and then after about 5 minutes asked "why don't you just take the stopper and airlock out and put the racking cane in that way?". :rolleyes:

My favorite part of this is that opening a fermenter was making so much noise that it bothered your wife upstairs! And she had to come down to see!
There must have been some serious grunting and cursing!

My favorite part of this is that opening a fermenter was making so much noise that it bothered your wife upstairs! And she had to come down to see!
There must have been some serious grunting and cursing!
I’m certainly not the most agile or subtle man out there lol

Evening folks,

Its story time!! I’ll keep it short and sweet. I have 5 years experience Homebrewing and at least 3.5 years experience using wide mouth Fermonster Fermenters.I just finished racking an Altbeir from the fermenter to the keg, so it’s clean up time. I start breaking down the equipment, but when I get to the lid, I typically can unscrew it with my hand without a problem but wasn’t able to.

I then go to the garage where I keep the wrench tool for the fermenter lid, run back up stairs, put it on and surely I’m expecting to have it easily finish the job, but the lid won’t budge. I’m 6’2” 230lbs, routinely lift and try as I might, can’t even get it to budge.

My wife comes down to tell me I’m making too much noise, and there she finds me, fermenter inbetween my legs and hunched over, red faced, forehead vein bulging, sweating, looking like a constipated dog in the backyard praying for Jesus. Then she starts laughing…

I get pissed and say “are you kidding me I’ve been wrestling this damn thing for 30 f’in minutes and your going to laugh!” Which she responds with even more laughter. Now I’m extremely pissed and am bout to say something I know I’ll regret and she cuts me off and says… “Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey”…. And goes back up stairs…..

On this forum, you should never make fun of yourself. Simple tell us what you did and let us be the one's to make fun of you!!!!

This is really funny.
My personal experience is my wife checks in when I'm out working in the brewery and after about 30seconds of my explaining, she starts to glaze over 🙄.

I'm usually the one to have a a drive by innuendo comment when I check in on her "carpentry" hobby.

I will point out that a golden opportunity was missed by both of you in that regard for your situation.

forever. LOL :mug: I have a few of those as well.
Evening folks,

Yep, we’ve all had a few of those, no doubt, but always drinking related! 😆

I can only imagine your wife’s first thoughts when she caught you straddling the fermenter while grunting and red faced....priceless...🤣🤣 Good thing she didn’t get a quick photo.

Luckily as time goes by you’ll probably look back on this and both laugh to tears when reminiscing. Thanks for sharing this 👍👍

Back