Your "uh oh...." moments....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumping water or sanitizer through an auto-siphon while it's pointed at me or my kitchen floor.

Keep em coming guys....this is awesome. A small oops, but an oops nonetheless. Couple weeks ago brewing up my brown. All the equipment set up, keggle sitting nicely on the burner with water running into it...and saw I had the damn thing facing the wrong way. I use a two-burner camp stove we got from Cabelas (I highly recommend it if you can't afford a nicer burner, boils fast and easy to break down, not to mention can fit two keggles side by side...and great for camping). Instead of stopping the water running in, dumping it, and turning it around, just waited until I ran the strike in and VERY CAREFULLY turned it the right way. On hindsight if that keggle had wobbled and fallen off while I was moving it, chaos would have ensued. Got lucky that time.

Units of measurement are important to remember. I made the Blue Moon clone that everyone uses from this forum and the brew day went spectacularly UNTIL I reread the recipe and I realized I used ounces instead of teaspoons. The beer is cold crashing right now and smells good but time will soon tell what I created!

I was dry hopping once and had measured the hops out in to a small cereal bowl. Opened the lid and threw the whole bowl into the fermenter, I mean the actual ceramic bowl along with the hops. On top of that I was so shocked I just panicked and dunked my bare arm into the beer to grab the bowl as it sank to the bottom.
That beer actually turned out pretty good lol.

I have one from today. I was kegging a cider and somehow inadvertently pulled the siphon hose out of the keg and covered half the kitchen floor with hard cider before I realized what was happening. Good thing SWMBO wasn’t home.

I add "mop the floor" at the end of all my indoor brewing checklists. I think SWMBO encourages indoor brewing just so the floor gets mopped more often.

I add "mop the floor" at the end of all my indoor brewing checklists. I think SWMBO encourages indoor brewing just so the floor gets mopped more often.

I might as well as mopped, my knees still hurt from cleaning it all up! That might work for kegging or bottling days, my wife hates the smell of wort so much I have to brew outside.

It's fun reading these uh-oh moments, and I like how many times the beer turned out fine. It reminds me how forgiving brewing is.

My very first brew, I went in with a buddy and we split the batch. It was bottling day and we were over at his house. We had the priming solution in the bottling bucket and were trying to get the siphon going but it would peter out almost immediately. After about 10 times, I took a swig of our Iodopher and gargled with it for a minute and started the siphon with my mouth. I was startled when the beer hit my mouth and spit it into the bottling bucket on reflex. His eyes got big and we both glanced at the wives. They hadn't noticed so we silently agreed to keep the 'oops' between us. Beer turned out great but I ordered an auto-siphon that night.

I think this wins the award for most impressive all-time "oops"!

Am I the only one who's uh oh moments consist of catching things on fire?
So far while brewing, I've set fire to a spatula, my wooden spoon, pot holder, almost myself on a few occasions, my piece of note paper with recipe instructions (yes, I sometimes print my own instruction) My thermometer and I've got scorch marks at the corner of my counter top where it meets the stove. Ahh the joys of stove top brewing.

So far while brewing, I've set fire to a spatula, my wooden spoon, pot holder, almost myself on a few occasions, my piece of note paper with recipe instructions (yes, I sometimes print my own instruction) My thermometer and I've got scorch marks at the corner of my counter top where it meets the stove. Ahh the joys of stove top brewing.

Dang, you dangerous dude.:eek:

Dang, you dangerous dude.:eek:

Maybe just a little lol
In all reality, I think its because my kettle is entirely too wide for my stove burner and the flames creep out the sides. I'm investing in a propane burner soon to brew in the drive way.

In order of events:

Leaving the valve open on my mash tun.

Bottle bomb in my wife's coat closet (only one from a CL 22oz bomber but it was enough)

Forgetting 5 lbs of grain in a 5 gal batch

Forgetting to sanitize bottles after filling 8

Dumping the liquid back into harvested yeast to top off a mason jar (it was in a dirty pint glass from the night before)

Ironically the sanitized bottles and the yeast were infection free. Obviously not going to be routine practice but its surprising to me.

Pretty sure I got blood in a kegged batch once also. The lip on a new ball lock is sharper than it looks.

Nope you're not. I've got a couple of lovely burn scars on my stomach from the hose coming loose from the pump while setting up the IC as a heat exchanger...it did the typical "fire hose" dance and most of it landed on my stomach and my left boob. And the other day I lost all my left forearm hair lighting a burner.

Maybe just a little lol
In all reality, I think its because my kettle is entirely too wide for my stove burner and the flames creep out the sides. I'm investing in a propane burner soon to brew in the drive way.

I use heavy duty aluminum foil to make a cone around my kettle. It helps keep stuff from burning and gets me up to temp a lot faster. I really need to make friends with a roofer so I can make a more permanent cone out of scrap flashing. I just can't bring myself to buy 25 ft of flashing when I only need a few.

Broke a bottle in the bottling bucket while sanitizing. So spent some time cleaning and making sure there wasn't any glass before bottling.

Dumped 10 pounds of grain on the floor.

Whirlpool hose popped out of the BK while adding hops! (I don't have the bulkhead fitting installed yet...)
No burns and no major mess just sprayed a few ounces on the garage floor.

A couple months ago I accidentally added the adjuncts for a cream ale to the grain bill for a porter. I was doughing in when I realized my mistake. Nothing to do but make beer.

Turns out that "cream porter" is is pretty damn good. I may do it again, on purpose.

I made a 1L starter 2 days before brew day, put it on the stir plate and cold crashed the night before. After a successfull brew session I grabbed the flask to decant and low and behold...... no yeast cake! I sheepishly looked in the fridge only to discover my yeast pack that didn’t make it into the starter. Pitched it and the beer still turned out ok.

I have one to add, the other night I kegged a kettle sour into one of my sankey kegs and cranked the PSI up to 40. I set it on the floor and started rocking it back-and-forth with my foot and I heard a couple of quick psst... I didn’t think anything about it at the time but about 10 seconds later my beer line shot off the top of my keg and shot beer all over my garage. Keep in mind this beer was at 40 psi and angry from being shaken so it shot out like a rocket. I assumed I just didn’t have the line on there far enough the first time so I shoved it all the way on started shaking and it happened again... I really am an idiot. Needless to say it is now clamped tightly.

Please tell me you swept it up and called it Swept Under the Rug {beer style of your choice}???

No, but I just did it the other week. Picked up most of it and threw it back in storage. Thinking for my new brew, Basement Floor Brown!

Over active fermentation blowing the airlocks up to the ceiling and making a big mess on the floor. It has happened too many times.

Just pulled together the ingredients for a Belgian IPA I am brewing tomorrow
Went for the 10lb bag of Pilsner malt and all I have is Maris Otter and US 2-row...
I must have used the pilsner in a DIPA and then the remaining majority in an oatmeal stout

hope the stout turns out ok...uh oh

doughed in on my herms system, flipped the wort pump heard a screeching noise at the same time I noticed my false bottom on the table beside my system. I had filled my pump with grain. you can't just dump 36 lbs of grain, and the valve was plugged. I had to scoop up all the grain an put it into homer buckets, reverse pressure the valve with part of the sparge water to remove the grain, install the false bottom, put the grain and wort back into the tun, take apart the pump and clean it out. I missed my numbers and wound up with 15 gallons of so so beer that was very dry and added almost 2 hours to my brew day.

I just realized I drilled my collar to my keezer with one screw. I went to take it off just now and it wouldn’t move. The hole is a half inch down and half inch in on the top of the of of the freezer. There is still some frost on the inside when the freezer turns on so I think I may be alright. The collar has been on for a few months now so I think I may be alright.

I did a super stupid one the other day. Measured out the dry hops for my pliny clone (I keep my hops in a chest freezer in the garage, and use the top as a table for the scale) dropped them in the fermenter, and went my merry way. This was Wednesday. Yesterday afternoon, sitting in my garage having a few homebrews, and happened to glance in the direction of the freezer...yep, three different bags of hops sitting ON TOP of the freezer instead of in it. Forgot to put them away. They're all completely dry and kept tightly closed, so I don't think they'll have a problem...but still. Noob moment.

I did a super stupid one the other day. Measured out the dry hops for my pliny clone (I keep my hops in a chest freezer in the garage, and use the top as a table for the scale) dropped them in the fermenter, and went my merry way. This was Wednesday. Yesterday afternoon, sitting in my garage having a few homebrews, and happened to glance in the direction of the freezer...yep, three different bags of hops sitting ON TOP of the freezer instead of in it. Forgot to put them away. They're all completely dry and kept tightly closed, so I don't think they'll have a problem...but still. Noob moment.

Nah, no big deal. Hops are stored in boxes on a shelf at my LHBS, never seems to matter. After I buy 'em I put them in the freezer.

Nope you're not. I've got a couple of lovely burn scars on my stomach from the hose coming loose from the pump while setting up the IC as a heat exchanger...it did the typical "fire hose" dance and most of it landed on my stomach and my left boob. And the other day I lost all my left forearm hair lighting a burner.

Once I was brewing the the brutal cold so I was sitting as close to my burner as possible during any heating stages. At one point my buddy looked down and asked what was smoking. It was my jeans which now had two nice burn holes in them. My feet sure were warm though.

I was cleaning up after transferring a mead to a secondary. Had a carboy full of water and sanitizer sitting on my bathroom floor, when I decided to put the siphon into the carboy so i wouldn't trip on it on my way back into the bathroom. I left to do some other cleanup when I heard a beeping, I walked the whole apartment only to find the siphon had started itself when I put it in the carboy and it had drained the whole 5 gallons onto my bathroom floor. The beeping was the neighbour belows fire alarm going off as 5 gallons of water poured around it into his living room. Whoops...my landlord wasn't to happy, I told her the toilet overflowed, seemed easier to explain

I was chilling my wort, reflecting on the successful brew day. I look over and see a bag of extract. I DON'T HAVE ANY LEFTOVER EXTRACT, I NEVER ADDED IT! So I panicked, threw in the extract into the cooling wort (looked like pancake mix) The fermentation took off like a rocket and the beer turned out ok.

My first batch of beer not from a kit (extract recipe though), I topped off the wort with water as instructed to make 5 gallons. OG was a little low, so I added some corn sugar... didn't calculate it, just guessed. OG was high, so added some water. did this a couple of times until the OG was right and had about 5.25 gallons in my carboy...

In my 5 gallon carboy. In my FIVE freakin' GALLON carboy.

I was optimistic, but still felt iffy about it, so rigged up a blow off tube from a piece of half inch tubing and an airlock "just in case". Good thing I had that. had enough blow off to reduce my final batch to 4.5 gallons.

I was chilling my wort, reflecting on the successful brew day. I look over and see a bag of extract. I DON'T HAVE ANY LEFTOVER EXTRACT, I NEVER ADDED IT! So I panicked, threw in the extract into the cooling wort (looked like pancake mix) The fermentation took off like a rocket and the beer turned out ok.

BTDTGTTS

My first time using my new grain mill I set in on the 5g bucket, filled the hopper with grain, attached the 1/2" drill and turned it on. Didn't think about holding the mill and dumped the whole thing over!

dropped and broke bottle while bottling, stepped on a piece of the broken glass went through my shoe and into my foot

I have Calphalon kettles now. While waiting for water to boil for making a starter I was on the computer. Didn't take long for the bottom of my wife's stainless steel kettles to delaminate when they go dry on a hot burner. Once is for learning. Two kettles is dumb.

Back