Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a wonderful “Service of Remembrance and Celebration” for Marie yesterday at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Crystal Lake. Pastor Rubeck shared the Word of God powerfully with us, reminding us to rejoice and remain faithful. Dr. John Behnke led us boldly and bravely in the hymnody. Both of those men were a blessing to me and the family.

I was overwhelmed by the large attendance at the service, and the incredibly strong singing coming from behind me. I was especially touched that our niece, Jodie, brought Marie’s Mom to the service! I had the opportunity to speak with family and friends I had not seen in years. The service was truly a blessing, with so many giving honor and praise to our Lord for His gift of Marie.

glenn514:)

Glenn - sounds like you celebrated Marie's life in a great way. I read the obit and see that her mom's maiden name was Dunkel. I will brew a dunkel soon (dunkelweizen), and the name of the beer can only be "Marie's Mom."

Peace be with you.

Joy, Nathan and little Abel flew out yesterday afternoon and arrived safely and soundly at Love Field in Dallas around 500pm. Amanda’s flight from O’Hare ended up getting cancelled, but she was booked onto a new flight which had a leg from Houston to College Station. She arrived at home last night around 1130pm.

Gretchen and Joe and their dog Maybell are still here, but will be heading back to the northwoods this afternoon. I truly appreciated my entire family being here to honor their mother and give me their support.

I plan on giving the memorial funds to the Land O’ Lakes Area Artisans, which offers art opportunities, lessons and displays for the entire Land O’ Lakes, WI area. It is something that Marie would highly approve.

glenn514:(

I am in he bittersweet process of putting away the Christmas decorations. Yesterday, I took care of quite a few, leaving only the Christmas tree to undecorate, take apart and store until late November. It is bittersweet because many of the decorations were among the last things Marie actually saw with her own eyes. And, come to think about it, that's not a bad thing! She saw things that represented a heavenly celebration. Now, she is part of that celebration.

You'll go through all kinds of "firsts" in this next year, Glenn. Every holiday/birthday/event that first year after my Mom passed was difficult. Days she loved were especially hard - Thanksgiving, Christmas, any excuse for a big meal to be made and served up to her.

Embrace the memories, they really do help you process through the loss of a loved one. I think of you often and hope that you are doing OK. Let yourself grieve as you need to, it's part of the healing process.

I just caught up with this thread. So sorry for your loss.

Saturday and Sunday were very bittersweet for me. Saturday represented one month since Marie died. And Sunday represented six months since the first stroke. But there was an "up" side! After attending worship yesterday morning, my second daughter and her husband took me to see an afternoon live, stage performance of "M.A.S.H." The stage version is closer to the movie version than the TV series. I thoroughly enjoyed the production! The amateur cast was most definitely above average! Following the production, the three of us went out for an early dinner at a wonderful pub in Elgin, Illinois. And my daughter, son-in-law and I all enjoyed watching Denver beat New England!

Watching Denver beat New England was the high point of my day, followed closely by watching the Panthers beat the Cardinals. It was a GOOD football day!

Glenn, the first year is tough - it's a year filled with "first this" and "first that" - first year I ever had a birthday without my Mom, first Thanksgiving without her enjoying her favorite holiday, etc. It gets easier, I think, after that first year is behind you - did for me, but then, it's NOT my spouse I lost, it was my Mom. However, I did for her what you were doing for Marie - took care of her 24/7/365 especially the last year of her life. It's a bunch of big adjustments for sure.

Best thing you can do is what you ARE doing, IMHO - go out, enjoy your life to the fullest with your loved ones, and keep the good memories of Marie in your heart.

Yeah, like what a fella at work told me once when we were nearly divorced, " You never forget it, it just gets easier to live with".

Glenn, I'm newish here so none of you guys really know me or anything. I just read through this entire thread and am thoroughly in tears. I am so very sorry for your loss and am extremely moved by not only your love for this wonderful woman but the fact that this community seems to have pulled together so very much to help you through this. I literally don't know what else to say so I'm gonna go blow my nose and clean my face!

It has been a while since I offered any updates. I will place that blame directly on my own shoulders, since previous updates were more about Marie’s condition, and less about my coping with those conditions.

But here I am, a bit over a month since Marie was given her crown of eternal life by Jesus, Himself. It is also a bit more than six months since the first stroke. And depending on the exact moment someone asks, I may be doing quite well or I might be doing extremely poorly. Right at this minute, I’m doing OK, but that may change in another moment or two.

I have made arrangements to make a trip to Texas to see Joy, Nathan and the grandkids, as well as Amanda. I plan on being gone from 18 February through 25 February. I plan on driving, so I am hoping that the weather cooperates. And I do plan on using my new Nikon digital single lens reflex camera to take lots and lots of pictures on my trip.

I wanted to share this with you - it was sent me by an email acquaintance when my Mom passed.

I still go into the cottage and say, "Hi, Mom!" out loud. It brings me solace to think that she is in another realm where she can hear me if I speak to her.

death does not change.jpg

How are you doing, Glenn? I miss your posts!
I'm hanging in there. Some days are better than others...some moments are better than others...but the clock keeps ticking, and life must continue.

This week has been busy, which is a good thing. I have several appointments [dental cleaning, chiropractic adjustment, etc.] and I made appointments to get my car ready for the trip to Texas next week. And I'm really looking forward to visiting with my oldest and youngest daughters in Texas, drinking a beer with my son-in-law, and tickling my grandchildren!!! I hope to take many, many pictures with my new Nikon DSLR camera and lenses!

The bottom two sections of the Christmas tree are still standing in the family room. And today is Ash Wednesday. But taking it down only increases my depression, so I've been avoiding it. I think I will have to screw up my courage and get it out of there before I leave for Texas. Marie would REALLY be on my case to take it down and put it away.

I'm glad you're looking forward to your trip - it sounds awesome! You honor Marie by living each day to the fullest. I'm sure she is smiling down upon you.

Take down the tree when you're ready. It won't hurt it to stay there til you feel up to the task.

And we expect a full report of your trip when you return! :)

Thanks, unionrdr. I'm not usually a fan of country-western music, but Montgomery Gentry's song did touch me. And the only thing that is going to help is time. And it's not so much that I miss her, but rather, that I have to fill the void she left behind. That's the hard part. When I drive my car, there is a void in that passenger seat. When I ride my motorcycle, that "*****" seat is empty. When I sit down to eat, her place at the table is empty. When I go to bed, no one is sleeping on "her" side. When I do a load of laundry, it is only my clothing...not hers. Throughout the house, there are things that point only to her...things hanging on the walls, various "knick-knacks," things left undone. All those things are so very difficult for me. But the "second hand" on my wristwatch keeps ticking, which tells me that time is, indeed, passing. I sure would like to think that I'm in a bit of a better spot today than I was at Christmas. I know I am in a better spot than I was the end of July and the beginning of August.

Some years ago, a friend of mine had a kidney stone. I used to kid him and tell him, "This, too, shall pass...like a kidney stone." By that, I meant that there would be pain in the passing, but once over the pain, better days are ahead. So, this too shall pass...like a kidney stone. But Lord, You never said how long it would take to pass that damned stone!

Even if a person doesn't particularly like country music, that song always seems to strike a cord. i think it helps...just hit the road, floor it & see where it goes...clears a man's head sometimes.

So, I finally screwed up my courage and attacked the remaining two-thirds of the Christmas tree. It is now undecorated and safely tucked away in my cellar. The space where the tree stands is normally occupied by an OLD vinyl rocker/recliner we bought not long after we were married. It is well over 40 years old, and the vinyl is ripped all over the chair. My plan is, once all the dust has settled with insurance settlements, to purchase a new rocker/recliner to replace the old one. So, the old vinyl one will remain sentenced to the front room until I can figure out what to do with it.

I leave this Thursday for Texas. Sure hope the weather cooperates! I really want to hug my grandchildren!

glenn514

While I sorely missed my traveling partner, the trip to Texas so far has been great. I left the house about 740am this morning, and stopped in Springfield, IL for an early lunch and gas. Traffic was relatively light, so I went right through downtown St. Louis, and never dropped below 60 mph! Had the sunroof open and one rear window open, because it was 72°F in Missouri! Made it to Springfield, MO where I gassed up [$1.33/gallon] and checked into the Drury Inn and Suites. I'm looking forward to the complimentary hot snacks and TWO DRINKS I get from the hotel! Tomorrow's issues: driving through Oklahoma...my route is not all Interstate-standard...and hitting Dallas at peak Friday rush hour! Oh, joy!

glenn514:mug:

I'd had lunch with ya if I'd known. Boy that stretch of 44 from Joplin to OKC to drop down on 35 is very boring. Honk when you pass thru Spingpatch on the way home.

actech...I get off the Oklahoma turnpike at Big Cabin and take US 69 south, which eventually becomes US 75 in north Texas. One must navigate a number of small towns, but it is four-lane all the way...just not up to Interstate standards.

Just dropped back in to let you know you're in my thoughts. I just lost my Dad a couple weeks ago. It's not the same as losing a spouse, but it still has left a hole in my heart. He lived a good life, but that doesn't make it easier for my family.

I just ordered Ghost Rider, by Neil Peart (drummer for Rush). He lost his daughter and wife within the span of less than a year and he wrote of his travels afterward while he was sorting things out.

Take care, and have a safe trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit under 1,000 miles, and I am in a lovely hotel in Waxahachie, TX. I did go and visit with my daughter and three grandchildren, but I need a good night's sleep! My oldest grandson cried when I left to return to the hotel. Needless to say, my heart melted. But I am here safely and the trip was mostly a piece of cake...except for the asshat who decided to attempt a U-turn on US 69 in Oklahoma...right in front of me...and he FAILED! Did I say, "Asshat???"

Once I get the computerized photos figured out, and get a handle on where I need to put them so the program can find them, I will post shots. The new camera is performing far beyond my wildest dreams! It almost takes the photo BEFORE I point the lens!

I have the Lexmark printer photo software saving the uploaded pics to " my pictures". It seems fine finding them there in photo albums dated to the day of upload. I can then click & drag or copy to other folders as I wish.

Well, I had a bunch of pictures moved from the camera to this computer...but somehow or other, I deleted them, or they are hiding in a really good place. Guess I'll have to take more pictures!

Drove down to Bryan/College Station to visit my youngest daughter...the Ph.D. The trip was about 320 miles, round trip, but the speed limit for most of the drive was 75 mph. My Hyundai hums happily at 79 mph!

Anyway, Amanda and I had lunch at Madden's in old downtown Bryan...and a delicious lunch it was. Afterward, I took the SD card out of the camera and gave it to Amanda, asking her if she could attempt to open the images still on there and email them to me. This computer is convinced they have already been uploaded...which they were...so will NOT re-upload. We'll wait and see what she can do.

That's too funny Glenn. Cantankerous SD card only lets you offload pics once! Haha. Ah well, we can still enjoy your travels through the written word, you are very good at expressing yourself that way.

Latest posts

Back