Your thoughts on vienna malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I'm drinking my first beer brewed with vienna, a Vienna/el Dorado DIPA and its pretty tasty. I've never used the grain or the hop though so its hard for me to get a good read on what I'm tasting. What beers have you brewed with all Vienna base malt and what are your thoughts on the grain?

It's one of my favorite grains to use. I've used it in several beers, and as the base malt in a couple too. My favorite was a light ale I did. I describe the flavor as bready, but I don't know if that's the right word. Anyhow, I think it's delicious.

I love Vienna malt! My favorite use is in Vienna lager- but I've used it in my "fizzy yellow beer" often, and even in other beers like pale ales. It's got a great malt flavor without being heavy flavored like Munich malt is.

Another Vienna fan here, I think it's becoming my favorite SMaSH malt. Though it's made similarly to Munich and considered on that spectrum it's a different flavor as Yooper pointed out. I'm actually not much of a Munich fan, it's usually too strongly malty for me and I avoid it in paler ales. Vienna on the other hand I use all the time in those beers. It's a little harder to describe, kind of bready but not the way MO is. I hesitate to say sweet because it's not sweet like caramel malt - maybe rich is a better term.

I think rich might be a good description. My dipa reached a final gravity of 1.003 which is my lowest ever so I thought it would be the driest taste ever but it actually has kind of candy sweetness but not overpowering. I've heard el Dorado hops described as bubble gum like flavor so it might just be the hops coming through. I'm brewing a Vienna red ale today so I should have a more pure taste for the grain.

Latest posts

Back