YOUR own personal life quote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A poem I wrote in 1997 during a particularly enlightening adventure in the Philippines.

Do not walk the path I say,
For it does not exist.
You cannot find enlightenment
Contained within a list.
Do no follow leaders,
they cannot set you free.
And perhaps now most importantly
Listen not to me.

I was taught this as a young boy, and been living by and saying it every since...over 30yrs now...

"To be early is to be on time...to be on time is to be late"

I have a few.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, then a frontal lobotomy.

All you can do, is all you can.

And the one I tell my wife almost daily

Love always and all ways.

Cheers!

Sent from my van, down by the river.

I was sitting here reading some of these inspirational quotes and my 12 year old son reminded me of one I say ALL THE TIME. Its not mine, it came from my psychology teacher in high school (loved that woman)

"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see"

This has served me VERY well in life!

Cheers
Jay

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

My mother told me I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up.
I decided to be an A-hole.

Fail to plan, Plan to fail.

Happy wife Happy life.

And most importantly:
Never force a fart, it may be more.

A friend once asked me why I bother to train MMA if I'm not going to fight.

I said:
"Because life is a brawl waiting to happen and I'm not taking a loss".

I'm way older now but that one keeps me working the bag and exercising to this day. If you need proof of concept, just search "cheap shot" on youtube. Crazy the stuff that goes down in this world without provocation of any kind.

Ive always wondered how many times one of these tools took a cheap shot at the wrong person. i had a good friend at a job once that was the true nerd who got bullied at school and went threw karate to stop it. still looked and dressed like a geek but damn if someone ever tried that on him. it would be funny to watch tho

An original of mine:

"Offense can never be given; it can only be taken."

I.e. being offended by something is a choice. A choice to give power over your emotions to someone else. Why would someone deliberately choose to do that?

Then there was one that my old karate instructor liked, which is probably my motto for homebrewing (and many other hobbies and in my professional life):

"Nobody is perfect. But by striving for perfection, we achieve excellence."

I was sitting here reading some of these inspirational quotes and my 12 year old son reminded me of one I say ALL THE TIME. Its not mine, it came from my psychology teacher in high school (loved that woman)

"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see"

This has served me VERY well in life!

Cheers
Jay

I believe that is a quote of Ben Franklin

I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
-Robert A. Heinlein

And another favorite

"fukk it Dude, lets go bowling"
-Walter Sobchak

"If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough."

"The only way you are stressed is if you let yourself be."

The first one is one my dad always tells me when I'm doing something stupid and I hurt myself. The second is how I treat most things, worrying doesn't really help you, it just kills your productivity and well being. If you can fix it then do it, I'd you can't stressing won't make a difference.

I almost forgot, "If you're going to do something stupid, commit to it. That last second hesitation can kill you." From when I was still regularly practicing parkour and freeclimbing.

One I made up years ago:

I don't know what I don't know and I won't know what I don't know until I know it.

I was taught this as a young boy, and been living by and saying it every since...over 30yrs now...

"To be early is to be on time...to be on time is to be late"

I heard the extended version of that:

To be early is to be on time. To be on time is to be late. And to be late is inexcusable.

My grandfather use to tell me when I was a real young boy. "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right"

I am sure it came from long ago..

Cheers
Jay

Something I heard in a management course years ago:
The Six "P's"
Piss
Poor
Planning
Prevents
Positive
Performance
Though piss and poor should be hyphenated; it really should be the 5 " P's." That always bothered me.

It can always be better.

So far, so good.

It's always something.

A man shouldn't have to kill himself to get ahead.

There are 3 things that are perpetually tied for 1st place in life: Food, sex and sleep. What you do next is determined by what you did last.

Fortunately, I keep all my feathers numbered for just such an occasion. (Stolen from Foghorn Leghorn)

One of those "$#!t my dad says" type of quotes, which has been a running joke in my family for a while: "We don't not run over snakes." The quote itself isn't that humorous, as much as the bizarre solemnity with which my dad invokes the phrase (usually when someone sees a snake). What can I say, the man hates snakes.

I'm trying to talk the old bastard into getting it tattooed on him. My brothers and I all said we all would do it if he did. :p It think it should be inscribed on our coat of arms as well.

Also, "Maximum Fiasco"; i.e. what happens when my family tries to do something as a group. It's become kind of a mantra for us.

"Wherever you go, there you are..." --Buckaroo Bonzi

What I preach to all of our associates at the warehouse is, Take your time to do right the first time, or else you will have to take more time to do it again to fix it...

"Wherever you go, there you are..." --Buckaroo Bonzi

What I preach to all of our associates at the warehouse is, Take your time to do right the first time, or else you will have to take more time to do it again to fix it...

Along same line... you never have time to do it right the first time, but always find time to go back and fix it.

I inherited two from my grandfather:

I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

and

Good enough for women we date. (this is especially effective coming from a man who's been married a long tome, as he was and me as well)

That's NEARLY perfect
That's finer than a frogs hair
Don't do everything today... you wont have anything to do tomorrow
Ya gotta make hay while the sun shines
Strike when the irons hot
Don't have to many irons in the fire

People are down on things because they're not up on them.

If you're gonna run with the big dogs, you gotta learn to s**t in the tall grass

Back