YOUR own personal life quote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive always wondered how many times one of these tools took a cheap shot at the wrong person. i had a good friend at a job once that was the true nerd who got bullied at school and went threw karate to stop it. still looked and dressed like a geek but damn if someone ever tried that on him. it would be funny to watch tho

I saw a bit like this once. NYC subway, around 1985. Three thugs were trying to intimidate a geeky looking guy wearing glasses. The geek reached out and slapped the biggest guy on the neck, dropping him to the floor. The "geek" was my shipmate, and we were on our way back from a course in pressure point control. The two others were amazed and a bit scared. It got even funnier when a transit cop noticed the disturbance, and solved it by throwing my buddy off the train! Years later in NYPD, I could still amaze cops and defendants by knocking them out with my thumb.

My quote (of many) is:
Lord, give the strength to change what I can,
The grace to accept that which I cannot change,
And The wisdom to know the difference.

Just a few I consider from time to time:

If you can change things, why worry? If you can't change things, why worry?

And

Never mix your violations.

As I always tell my kids, "You can work hard now, or you can work hard for the rest of your life." An implication that college will make your life easier. Or that if you just get things done now, then it makes it easier in the future by simple repetition, or that you are already accustomed to working hard which is in turn easier to accept.

And for everyone else, "It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't trust anyone." Pretty self explanatory.

Then there's always the one below.....

No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Bonzai

The best ideas in life are the simple ones, but you have to be smart as hell to figure them out. - unknown

My brother laid this one on me the other day:

"Life is just god pissing on you all the time, but occasionally he stops to grab another beverage... Then you die."

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

"Work smarter, not harder" - at work I see a lot of people doing silly things that aren't really helping to find a solution. We often get so stuck in trying to fix the problem quickly (myself included) we don't stop and think about the most effective way to solve the problem. Which leads me into my dad's quote "stop and think, it's just a little thing to do"

You're young, you'll adjust.

Never thought I'd hear my daughter repeat it but she did, when she asked her boyfriend if I'd said it to him. I had, of course. :)

This one can be used for many things in life. Some of em serious and life changing and some of em probably not so much. In my case serious and life changing. If only I had told myself this in 2008. It took six years, but my mistakes caught up to me, and I hate every bit of it.
"Don't act like a F#$%ing idiot now, because somehow you WILL pay the price later."

One of my Dad's favorites: "If a frog had wings, his *ss wouldn't drag." (more colorful version of "if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.")

I really hate to break the rules here but maybe I am not witty enough or just generally so engulfed in my work that I don't have time to make memorable quotes. I'm going to post one that I have used for twenty years though, I do not know why it just always struck a chord with me:

"Nothing will come of nothing." - Shakespeare

I get to use it quite a bit around the company I keep in my free time. I'll edit when I have one of my own.

'The person who is yelling, is the crazy person' - This goes towards my belief that as soon as you start screaming at people, they completely lose their ability to 'hear' what you are saying. They're too busy focusing on the fact that you are screaming at them. If I'm in a room with a bunch of people and someone is yelling at me, and I'm responding in a calm, controlled, logical fashion I will win any argument by default (even when I'm wrong :D).

This isn't so much a life quote as it is a life concept. I work in a place with a lot of drama. I got really tired of it and resolved to do the following. I call it my '5-year rule'. When something is getting me close to my boiling point, I try to think about the problem and how it will impact my life in 5 years. Will it have any long-term effect on it? Will I even remember it? I'm telling you that 99.9% of the time the answer is no. If that's the case I pretty much blow it off, and move on with my life. It's made me a much calmer person, and people see me as someone who doesn't go off the deep end when there's a situation.

'The person who is yelling, is the crazy person' - This goes towards my belief that as soon as you start screaming at people, they completely lose their ability to 'hear' what you are saying. They're too busy focusing on the fact that you are screaming at them. If I'm in a room with a bunch of people and someone is yelling at me, and I'm responding in a calm, controlled, logical fashion I will win any argument by default (even when I'm wrong :D).

This isn't so much a life quote as it is a life concept. I work in a place with a lot of drama. I got really tired of it and resolved to do the following. I call it my '5-year rule'. When something is getting me close to my boiling point, I try to think about the problem and how it will impact my life in 5 years. Will it have any long-term effect on it? Will I even remember it? I'm telling you that 99.9% of the time the answer is no. If that's the case I pretty much blow it off, and move on with my life. It's made me a much calmer person, and people see me as someone who doesn't go off the deep end when there's a situation.

Reminds me of one I've drummed into my kid's heads - "If you lose your temper, you lose."

Reminds me of one which says the master has failed more times than a loser ever will.... Or something along those lines

Or this one from Obi Wan, still holds true in some instances; Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

This one can be used for many things in life. Some of em serious and life changing and some of em probably not so much. In my case serious and life changing. If only I had told myself this in 2008. It took six years, but my mistakes caught up to me, and I hate every bit of it.
"Don't act like a F#$%ing idiot now, because somehow you WILL pay the price later."

V2... Don't ever, ever give up no matter how dire the situation appears. Miracles do happen. And when they do, DON'T F@#$CK IT UP AGAIN!!

I've got two:

There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

A plan is just a list of things that don't happen.

Pride? Why Before long — years, days, — you will be a heap of rotting flesh: worms, foul-smelling liquids, filthy shreds of cloth, and no one, on earth, will remember you.

Perhaps I am just a bit dispassionate, but my motto has pretty much always been - "Yeah, Whatever"
. . . sorry if that disappoints anyone, but well, not really.

I have this printed out at home and at work.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

I was working on the book on home brewing I just came up with the other day, & was reminded of a notice mom had posted above the wall phone at home...
be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear!!! Some trollers around here would do well to remember this one...:mug:

My parents had a poster hanging in the house that had that phrase on it.

Oh if that isn't an original quote. Every team has that quote about their rival. What's great about mine is you guys really do suck, literally too.

I have been a Bears fan my whole life. It has been a fairly painful ride. Just this year, I told someone that I was a Bears fan and he said "bandwagoner!" WTF? Then he pointed me to the fact that the Bears lead the league in highest regular season winning percentage, and the most total games won.

At the rate they are going this season, I don't expect those records to hold for long.

I have several, but I will share one that I heard in a song a while back that has stuck around (slightly modified from the original song):

"I'd rather you hate me for everything I am than have you love me for something that I'm not"

I have several, but I will share one that I heard in a song a while back that has stuck around (slightly modified from the original song):

"I'd rather you hate me for everything I am than have you love me for something that I'm not"

I REALLY REALLY REALLY like this!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Jay

Nice.... Ivan is a rather interesting man, is he not? FFDP was my now 20 yo daughter's first hard core concert at age 16. They are among my favorite modern American bands simply because of that attitude right there.

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

Back