Your favorite band or album that nobody ever heard of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gaslight Anthem - 59' Sound

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys are by far my favorite band. I can't even single out a specific album.

Lucero -

corkybstewart said:
I just listened to Time Was from the Wishbone Ash album Argus, probably my all time favorite album, followed by a Uriah Heep song from Demons and Wizards. It hit me that every thread I see about music here is from you youngsters with no appreciation of where your music came from. So who do you love that I've never heard of?

I saw Wishbone Ash with Blue Oyster Cult back in the mid seventies. I still have a Uriah Heap album "Stealin" is still a great song.
How about something from Larry Raspberry and the High Steppers.

Whsoj said:
+1 on the Avett brothers
Acoustic Syndicate
The Upton Brothers
Big Daddy Love
The Silent Comedy
The Heavy

Ahh, The Heavy! I have The House That Dirt Built. Great album.

JeffoC6 said:
Lotus Plaza- Spooky Action at a Distance

Good album! Love the Einstein reference.

Just bought tickets to Neutral Milk Hotel, so I'm going to say In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I'm not sure where the demography cuts off for that band. [But just know- take that, 'hipsters'! ;) ]

Scatterbrain was on full repeat back in the day! The whole family sometimes cranks it up in the car now.

T is for my TIME in Jail
R Rot Gut
O Overdose
U an Ugly Lot
B forgot what that is for.. Oh yeah, BLACKOUT!
L Liver Damage
E is for ELEGANCE oh well at least I ain't got that!

Steve Vai turned me on to them by showing their Hey Dude! video.

My current favorite unknown band is Euforquestra, out of Iowa/Colorado. Saw them at two beer festivals in Northern Michigan and you can (probably) download their entire Soup album from their website. Jazz/Reggae/Cuban/awesome style of music.

Also discovered Ella Riot at a beer festival and even though they are now defunct, the lead singer, Michele, came in second place in the most recent The Voice competition!

My favorite song on that album is "That's That", and yeah, "Don't Call Me Dude" was the song that got me into those guys. F*cking excellent musicians they were...

amazing how many people have never heard this:

whenever i mention Down, people rarely know who they are, or think i'm referring to System of a Down..or 3 Doors Down...etc..

Baroness....just probably one of the best bands out there touring that barely anyone knows of..

Concrete Blonde... the one with bloodletting... a black album cover with a red rose(?) on it....

Aslo... the Young Einstein movie sound track and hell, why not go deep... the Bill and Ted Excellent Movie soundtrack.

Reckless Kelly
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Casey Donahew Band

I love Cross...not sure what in hell Cody is doing now but it quit being bad @ss Texas rock and roll! Carney Man just gets the party started!
I'll add Bleu Edmondson, Randy Rogers, Wade Bowen, Stoney LaRue, Kevin Fowler (Beer, Bait, and Ammo), and Jason Boland and The Stragglers to the list of great music that's obscure if you don't live in Texas! Everyone knows them boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong...

I also love old punk and thrash. Suicidal has already been mentioned (You Can't Bring Me Down is still my F U anthem) and I'll add the Vandals (The Mullet Song and John Wayne Was a Nazi are personal favorites) and my all time favorite band, The Cramps! Lux Interior is Elvis on acid psychobilly at its finest. Bikini Girls with Machine Guns, Creature From the Black Leather Lagoon, I Wanna Get In Your Pants, Sheena's in a Goth Gang, Daisies Up Your Butterfly, All Women Are Bad, Human Fly...they all rock!

Not sure if nobody knows about them, but Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary is an album that clicked with me from first listen.
I also found Lucero a few years ago - their record Nobody's Darlings is delicious.
There are many, many more for me, but these two really stand out.

I love Cross...not sure what in hell Cody is doing now but it quit being bad @ss Texas rock and roll! Carney Man just gets the party started!
I'll add Bleu Edmondson, Randy Rogers, Wade Bowen, Stoney LaRue, Kevin Fowler (Beer, Bait, and Ammo), and Jason Boland and The Stragglers to the list of great music that's obscure if you don't live in Texas! Everyone knows them boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong...

I also love old punk and thrash. Suicidal has already been mentioned (You Can't Bring Me Down is still my F U anthem) and I'll add the Vandals (The Mullet Song and John Wayne Was a Nazi are personal favorites) and my all time favorite band, The Cramps! Lux Interior is Elvis on acid psychobilly at its finest. Bikini Girls with Machine Guns, Creature From the Black Leather Lagoon, I Wanna Get In Your Pants, Sheena's in a Goth Gang, Daisies Up Your Butterfly, All Women Are Bad, Human Fly...they all rock!

Cody Canada has a band now called the Departed, they have some hit songs too.

I love all those red dirt artists, met Jason Boland and he signed my guitar too. A few of my favorite red dirt artists are JB and the Moonshine band, Cody Johnson, Matt Stell, Chuck Allen Floyd, and Turnpike Troubadours. I assure you red dirt country is not exclusive to Texas, but if your not in the scene then you'd never even know about it!! Hardly gets any radio play outside of Texas, and that's a real shame. For the most part I just can't stand Nashville country anymore.

One of my buddies that helped me learn guitar, and I work with in the patch has just signed a record deal with Render, and has a video on CMT and GAC, band is called Downday, they do rock and country. Their country single right now is called "Back in the Day" and the rock single is called "Tonight I'm Drinkin".

[ame]http://youtu.be/mSzRH7mjRIk[/ame]

Concrete Blonde... the one with bloodletting... a black album cover with a red rose(?) on it....

Aslo... the Young Einstein movie sound track and hell, why not go deep... the Bill and Ted Excellent Movie soundtrack.

I bought my first Concrete Blonde album back in the 80's. Still love them.

I've liked "Atomic Rooster" above.
I'm a big "Uriah Heep" fan, especially "Salisbury" but obscure? Not really.

Egg
Contemporary Noise Quintet/Sextet
O'Donel Levy

I used to listen to Uriah Heep back in the day! It's been about 35 years since I've even thought about them.

I'll have to pull out some of that music tonight because I do think it will bring back a ton of memories!

I don't really listen to anything "unknown" but I'm sort of stuck in 90s grunge and someone at NHC told me that I needed to listen to Porcupine Tree so I've been into them lately. Otherwise, I listen quite a bit to Mark Lanegan (from the Screaming Trees).

Other than Tom Waits (my all time favorite) and some Neil Young (Bob's favorite), I don't usually listen to much besides 90s grunge too often.

We have a lot in common.

I was coming here to list Alice, the greatest album ever written.

Aside from that Frank Zappa is the man and Apostrophe changed the world. Just no one noticed.

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mamma just might be the greatest song ever, followed very closely by Cosmic Debris!

Man, it didn't take long for people to hit most of my choices. Drive By Truckers, Lucero, Baroness, and Clutch.

I'm not sure Clutch fits the bill anymore as they've been steadily gaining popularity for the last 5 years or so. Everyone that likes heavier, riff-based rock should listen to Blast Tyrant once. There's no going back to a Clutch-free existence after that.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I guess I should name someone that hasn't already been listed. Christopher Parkening. A big name in his genre, but nobody in my circle has any clue who he is. When he still played it was like he had talent on loan from God. I guess that's why he was such a devout Christian.

We have a lot in common.

I was coming here to list Alice, the greatest album ever written.

The Tom Waits album? I used to sing pretty much that whole album to my daughter, to get her to sleep when she was little.

4050-4050-fbpaleasbone_585448-8982.jpg

I always go back to my late '90s pop-punk/emo or ska. Ace Troubleshooter, Five Iron Frenzy, Saves The Day, Relient K, The Ataris.

From what you guys have listed, not sure any of this will interest you.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik- Outkast

For hip-hop fans out there, anyone unfamiliar with this earlier album (but familiar with the more recent Outkast stuff) will notice Outkast figured out something that the Eminems of the world completely forgot. WHEN YOU MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND CONTINUE TO ACT ANGRY YOU SOUND LIKE AN IDIOT.

Southernplayalistic- "I live in a gritty neighborhood and the only things that make me happy are smoking weed and chasing women"

Speakerboxx- Goddamn life is good now!

The Olivia Tremor Control - Music From the Unrealized Film Script Dusk at Cubist Castle

...the now super hip Neutral Milk Hotel is comprised of members of this band.

I introduced all my CO friends and family to the TX/Red Dirt scene. I really don't listen to much of it lately. Seemed to get stale to me. Ragweed is really the only original scene band I still listen to.

Here are some newer guys that I've been checking out though.

Whiskey Myers

Johnathen Tyler & the Northern Lights

Uncle Lucious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pYdvxBxHX2U

Back in high school it was Osker & Driver Friendly. That was when I was into punk/garage rock and skateboarding.

Nowadays I listen almost exclusively to Texas/OK Country, Bluegrass, & Folk/Americana.

The Steeldrivers, JB & The Moonshine Band, Lost Immigrants, Slaid Cleaves, Mumford & Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show, Avett Brothers, Todd Snider, Lucero, Casey Donahew to name just a few.

I'm pretty sure I have at least several cuts, if not the entire song list, from each of these albums on my iPhone.

Oh, almost forgot the old(er) guys -

John Prine, Guy Clark, David Allan Coe ... not obscure per se, but most folks in my age group & friend circles haven't heard of them.

Whsoj said:
Reckless Kelly
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Casey Donahew Band

These, as well as Carolina Still. And some
Hank III.
Leaving Tennessee by Cross Canadian Ragweed is an amazing song.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ftOG50p85sE[/ame]

"There too damn skinny or way too long, but I aint no holy roller so I just use a bong"

I wish we all had Texas Radio:mad: pisses me off someone like taylor swift would even get enough fans to do anything

Back