Your best kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plath

Reaction score
What's the best extract kit you've ever brewed?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the best kit I brewed was an Ironmaster light American but I don't think they make it anymore.

Fireside Ale. It was a malty, spicy head clearer.

Liked my Ferocious IPA from Midwest. Really excited to try the Pliny kit I ordered from Morebeer

Morebeer Pliny the elder

Excited to brew this one, have it sitting at home and will brew this week most likely. You do full boils? Anything special on this kit I should know about before brewing besides the 90 min boil?

Sorry to derail

Leave plenty of headspace in your pot. It was my third batch I think (been a while) use a damn blowoff tube as well lol. Huge mess made on both accounts

I've had some of my own recipes come out great,like my Cougar Country IPA. But as for kits,Midwest's Cascade Pale Ale pm kit was good. Time will tell if the two more beer kits I've got going will be better. Irish red & an ESB...

The 3 in my sig ;) The Big Jim Walker is my favorite extract IIPA.

I have only done a few Northern Brewer kits. I would say that the Patersbier was my favorite, closely followed by Extra Pale Ale and Speckled Heifer. I have used their recipes for starters in formulating my own recipes. I don't buy kits anymore to save $$, even if I use the same ingredients as a kit.

Midwest's trippel one of the tastiest beers I've had in along time. However it needs to sit for about a year to hit its maximum flavor. It will probably get better if it sits longer...if it makes it.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

I made a Brewer's Best American Amber and it just get better and better with age. I get more compliments from this kit than all the rest.

Made a video of me making it as well... http://youtu.be/3Cy-3eazU8g

My best was one of my first - Brewer's Best Smoked Porter.

Now, being in Canada the shipping costs for Northern Brewer kits are likely to be prohibitively expensive so after a few BB kits (about all that's available at my LHBS) I just started brewingclone recipes and have started making my own recipes.

If you like heavy and hoppy, Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale is one I'll ALWAYS have around.

Sent from the toilet

I'm going to have to try this. Sounds great

Seconded. I love me a good hoppy IPA. I might have to do that as a late summer brew - I have one batch bottled, one batch in my fermenter, doing a Weissbier after that for early Summer then I want to do a low ABV British Special Bitter after that.

Too much beer, too little time!

AHBS Falconer's Flight IPA (partial mash and AG): I used this as a jumping off point for a few recipes.

AHBS 21st Amendment Bitter American clone (partial mash): maybe my favorite beer that I've brewed.

Morebeer Pliny the Elder clone (AG): even though I messed up a few things on brew day (inconsistent mash temps, low OG, etc), I still ended up with a great beer.

As of the first FG test,it's looking like the more beer ESB kit may just be my new favorite. Color & flavor were surprisingly good with re-hydrated S-04.

Another vote for the More Beer Pliny kit. I've never had the real Pliny, so I can't make a direct comparison, but the kit is damn good regardless.

One kit I find myself favoring is MoreBeer's Light Ale, hoppy enough for me, and light enough that everyone enjoys it. Sometimes add 1 lb. local raw honey at flameout. Did their Pliney kit, came out great! Complex kit! Will do it again, very strong beer:drunk:

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to try the MoreBeer Pliney kit; it's their deal of the day!

May as well scoop it up for a few bucks less :mug:

My best was a brewers best american pale ale, though i do admit to dry hopping with 2 oz of Citra for seven days that was not a part of the kit.

Morebeer Pliney th elder....

It went the fastest.... and so far the only one I decided to brew again. Got great praise from friends and other homebrewers as well.

I am telling you .... Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale is delicious. But I'm going with a Pliney next. I've seen MoreBeer with a kit, Norther Brewer and I have a clone recipe from the BYO 250 recipe issue. I can't decide which to do. Any suggestions?

Sent from the toilet

I just popped my Midwest Supplies Red RyePA kit, half of which I dry hopped, and both versions are tasting great!

My best to date kit had to be Northern Brewer White House Honey Porter. Lots and lots of great praise for that one.

Midwest Maibock with WLP051 California V yeast. So good.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Northern Brewer's heffeweizen came out really well. I had several other homebrewers say they couldn't believe it was an extract kit.

Monster Brew delirious double IPA. 7 oz. hops (Citra and simcoe) and the price was cheap. Good tasting brew and stinky.

I really want to clone Pliny, but the hops bring it into the $80/90 range. Oof. Very special brew.

/Will always still be figuring it out/

This thread just goes to show how diverse tastes can range, and just how many options are out there for extract brews... Personally the 'Brickwarmer' x-mass ale that I got from NB was my favorite so far.

Back