Your best brew -ever-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a couple years and my memory isn't what it used to be but I'm pretty sure my best beer to date was:

Oxymoron NEBIPA
12 lb 2-Row
1 lb Caramunich III
1 lb Midnight Wheat

20 minute Whirlpool at 180F, aiming for about 50 IBU's
1 oz Chinook
2 oz Centennial
2 oz Belma

US-05 yeast
Dry Hop when Ferment starts to slow
1 oz Citra
1 oz Centennial

I confess, I had to Google "NEBIPA." Now I want to try one!
Back when I made it, I'd never heard of another and thought I'd coined the term. Then I served it at a beerfest where the local brewpub owner kept dragging pro brewers over, telling them that they HAD to try this. I'm sure most of those out there thought of it on their own, but it's nice to know that I inspired at least one of them.

Best ever, would be my Big Monster RIS that came in at about 18% (I have one or two bottles left, and it was brewed in 2013 I believe)

One that I have repeated, would be one I call a Double Quad that is usually in the 15% ballpark. I have a number of bottles left from various years, that I have done a vertical tasting with several friends, the only problem is with a vertical tasting of those, very few can leave vertical, lol.

Kate the Great clone. Managed to mash 24 lbs. of grain in an 8 gallon brew kettle. Used BIAB method and the bag lift was epic. 8 months later the result was 95% as good as Todd Mott’s original creation. 10.5% abv, delicious. May never be duplicated in this brew house, so grateful for the outcome.

Best ever, would be my Big Monster RIS that came in at about 18% (I have one or two bottles left, and it was brewed in 2013 I believe)

I'm not sure if I actually want to do it myself, but I'm still curious how you do that? How do you create a wort at such an extreme gravity? And how do you get your yeast to work in such an extreme environment?

this is more what i was looking for....lol
joke2.jpg

My favorite recipe is my Rye IPA. I've brewed it countless times and won many awards with it over the years.

The "best" beer I've brewed would probably be my Pre-Prohibition American Lager (I posted the recipe here before). It was my first attempt at the style and ended up winning Best of Show at a 600+ entry competition, was brewed and sold commercially and made it to the final table at the 2018 GABF Pro-Am.

I'm not sure if I actually want to do it myself, but I'm still curious how you do that? How do you create a wort at such an extreme gravity? And how do you get your yeast to work in such an extreme environment?

It was a ten gallon batch, I got half.
First of all, we used a lot of grain, mostly first runnings, and there was a good bit of molasses as well.
If I remember correctly, it was 75-80 pounds of grain in three mash tuns.
The fellow that I brewed with was connected to a Baskin-Robbins (an ice cream shop) and brought over a bag of malted milk powder, three pounds maybe, and it was added as well, I don't know if any of it was fermentable.
Some of the first running were collected and boiled down separately, into almost a thick syrup and added back into the boil near the end.
The beer was started with White Labs 006 to develop the flavor profile and three or four days in three vials of 099 were added.
Over the next two weeks, the temperature was raised a degree or two each day, until it got into the low 80's and kept there until completion.
Honestly, I feel that luck had a lot to do with it as well. I have no plans to try it again any time soon, if ever, although the beer is/was awesome.

Second runnings went into a couple of other beers that were made that day.

Several years later, I tried to get something similar, minus the malted powder, and it ended up hopelessly stuck. 10-12% and still at 1.050
There are still eight or ten bombers of it left in a box somewhere.

Back