Young's IPA - Added too little water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stozzlar

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my second kit brew and loving the new hobby. However, on this occasion I have clearly added too little water to the malt extract, dme and sugar. The instructions advised a 23 litre batch and I have undershot by about 3 litres. The og is 1.079 with temp of 18oC and I pitched around 20g safale us-05.

Because I would ideally like to end up with a brew around 6.5%, should I attempt to add more water at the dry hopping stage and, if so, how should I go about it?

My head says don't bother risking infection but interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for all the forum help!

Nick

Hi guys, this is my second kit brew and loving the new hobby. However, on this occasion I have clearly added too little water to the malt extract, dme and sugar. The instructions advised a 23 litre batch and I have undershot by about 3 litres. The og is 1.079 with temp of 18oC and I pitched around 20g safale us-05.

Because I would ideally like to end up with a brew around 6.5%, should I attempt to add more water at the dry hopping stage and, if so, how should I go about it?

My head says don't bother risking infection but interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for all the forum help!

Nick
Use bottled water and throw it in during active fermentation to enable the yeast to get rid of the additional oxygen you will introduce. In other words, the sooner the better.

Latest posts

Back