Young Green Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFP

Reaction score
Scenario:

I've fermented out, secondaried, and gelatin'd a batch, transferred to keg, chilled it down and gotten it carbonated perfectly, but there's still a significant young "green apple" taste.

Based on others' experience, I'm curious, should I A) leave it in the kegerator to age at serving temp and lose the young taste, or B) pull it out of the keg and let it be at room temp for awhile to age out. Which way is more likely to get rid of that young taste quicker? I know cold conditioning can do great things, but I don't want to "halt" any activity that might actually still need to occur. That said, it was brewed on Sept 1, so it's been a good 6 weeks - that's usually enough.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

um...that's interesting. Time does do wonders to off-flavors in beer, so aging would help. Can you elaborate a little on your process? From what i've heard, brewers want to use very ripe fruit to get, well, the "true" fruit flavor.

um...that's interesting. Time does do wonders to off-flavors in beer, so aging would help. Can you elaborate a little on your process? From what i've heard, brewers want to use very ripe fruit to get, well, the "true" fruit flavor.

I don't think he used green apples, or any fruit in his beer. I think hes justing saying it has a young, green apple taste.

If it tastes young, I'd pull it out of the kegerator and let it age at room temperature for 2-3 weeks and then try it. Beer can age at cooler temperatures, but it takes a long, long time to age at fridge temperatures.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

Acetaldehyde

I tasted this in someone's coffee and chocolate stout, and it was excellent! Flawed technically, but actually very nice, balanced against the other flavors of the stout, although only a temporary taste, if aged.

It was EXACTLY like green apples; if only you could MAKE it taste like that and hold that flavor...:(

I'm willing to bet you pulled it off the primary too early. I normally do a 2 or 3 week primary and don't bother with a secondary. The beer ages well and clears just fine. As to what you should do now, I'd let it sit at room temp for a while. If it's not getting any better in a couple weeks, add a little bit of yeast. They'll eat up the alcohol precursors.

You need to let your beers age longer...if it were in the bottles I'd remind you about bottle conditioning and time...like Yooper said, you should let your kegs sit a couple weeks at room temp. to have the same effect. You are still drinking them young.

Force carbing, chilling and drinking immediately can't really give the beer the time it needs for the flavors to marry and the co2 to do some scrubbing of the off flavors.

Back