You Tube Rabbit Hole or Anyone remember when MTV played videos?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
Sitting here kinda bored. Just tapped a new keg and started with Black Sabbath Iron Man. I'm going to let You Tube take me the rest of the way. Next it picked War Pigs.

I'm wondering how long it will take to get to something completely different. Having memories of watching MTV when it first came out in the early 80's.

I remember the first year of MTV. Coincidentally, my brother and I scored about 50 cases of Marlboro Reds when a high school acquaintance stole them from somewhere.

We sat in our large (opulent, really) ballroom basement and smoked all those cigs and watched the late rich ocasik. Quite a year, really. Later, my dad lost his job and our ballroom and indoor pool went byby. Haha. But I'll always have that year of MTV and the 4 video jockeys that kept it going. Buncha drama now.

Anyone remember Don Kirshner's Rock Concerts on TV? Yea, that predates MTV.

Last edited:
If you do a few searched and watch a few videos you like, the suggestions get better.

I recently ran across the NPR tiny desk concerts, sort of a unplugged deal.

I have watched this one enough time it pops up regularly in the suggestions.

Last edited:
If you do a few searched and watch a few videos you like, the suggestions get better.

I recently ran across the NPR tiny desk concerts, sort of a unplugged deal.

I have watched this one enough time it pops up regularly in the suggestions.

I miss the Leslie Speaker...

headbangers ball that was late 80"s i think. that is all i remember kinda from the 80's :)

I remember MTV when they played a lot of mediocre music accompanied slick videos and tried to tell everyone that we should all listen to rap.
Ok, there were a few videos I liked:

Living in podunk south Georgia where most radio stations were country, MTV was the only way to get decent new music. I remember knowing about STP, Pearl Jam, Tool, etc way before a lot of my friends since I was earlier and had it playing before school. It seemed like the played the fringe stuff early before it got popular.

honestly i hate to say this all i remember from MTV, actually....lol, i do remember head bangers ball but it was mostly on past my bed time...

LOL

Back