You know you're out of shape when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
you wake up sore the morning after brew day!
Alright, I'm out of shape. I know it. But, my brew days are fairly labor intensive since I have no running water in the garage. Everything has to be put in buckets and carried, then lifted and poured. Between the brew water, plus water for clean up, that's a lot of water. Yesterday was especially brutal because I put together a new mash tun and had to check for leaks, empty, fix the leak, fill again, etc.
Jeez, I need a beer.

Brewer's Carry, a variation on the Farmer's Carry exercise. Chuck a 55lb sack of base malt on each shoulder and walk either a couple blocks or up a couple flights of stairs.

Advanced version, lose the grain, and grab a half barrel keg in each hand.

A couple buckets of water will get the job done too ;)

Brought home a partial half barrel from work (partial meaning literally 95% full). Hoisted from ground to shoulder after getting out of the car, and carried on shoulder maybe 75yds uphill across parking lot, then 3 flights of stairs.

I'm glad I work out.

When you pull a hamstring .... bowling.

My daughter was invited to a birthday party at a bowling alley. They had reserved several lanes and said the parents could also bowl. Around the 7th frame I moved wrong somehow and tweaked my hamstring and was limping around for a few days. How pathetic is that?

You know you're out of shape when one beer gets you buzzed And you fall asleep with a house full of company!

I bought my house in 1996. The first winter, it took about 20 minutes to shovel the driveway and sidewalk.

My sidewalk kept getting bigger and at one point, I'd shovel for 15-20 minutes, rest for a while, shovel another 15-20 minutes, rest again, then finish up.

I finally gave up and bought a snow blower.

I started getting more exercise a few years ago.

The other day, we had a heavy, wet snow. The snow blower wouldn't have worked with a snow this wet, anyway, but shoveling is good exercise. Took me less than 15 minutes.

Brewing related, I have a Mash and Boil. I put it on a cart, so it's elevated. When I first used it, I needed to use a chair to get the malt pipe out. Today, I lifted it out without using a chair.

Exercise can do wonders.

Latest posts

Back