You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I will ever get the turkey and sage odor out of it. I'm seriously wondering whether my kegged beers will pick it up.

Try giving the inside a good scrub with bicarbonate of soda mixed with a couple of drops of lemon juice in it.

you know you're a homebrewer when:
-any time you're shopping you look at things with an eye of, "will this improve my brewing, or make it easier somehow?"
-any purchases you want have obvious alternative uses that are great for SWMBO, such as an electric kettle that is great "for sous-vide"....

Heated, but at a carefully regulated constant temperature. Warmer for Norwegians, cooler for Germans and Czechs.
Yeah, but I live in southern Arizona. I bought a heating blanket for a carboy several years ago, (from Northern Brewer, no less!) but I've never used it. The challenge here is to keep the fermentation cool enough. I can do room temp in the winter, but it's cooling for most of the year.

When it comes to tonight's debate of hops in the freezer versus meat and veg that could help see us through sustained disruption due to the virus - the hops win.

When it comes to tonight's debate of hops in the freezer versus meat and veg that could help see us through sustained disruption due to the virus - the hops win.
I have another pound of whole cone arriving this weekend. There goes the last of the meat space. If it comes to zombie apocalypse level, relief agencies will be distributing food rations before hop rations.

If it comes to zombie apocalypse level, relief agencies will be distributing food rations before hop rations.

True, although maybe this is something we can change next time we vote. Which candidates will stand for basics like Cascade and US-05 being included in any emergency distribution?

You know you're a homebrewer in Washington State when everyone else is stocking up on TP and water, and all you care about is if you have enough grain/hops/yeast/propane to see you through a possible 14 day quarantine. Getting scary here folks. I'm not afraid of getting sick (already have a damn cold), it's the panicky idiots out there that scare me, egged on by our wonderful gubmint and the media. Gonna go get propane tomorrow.

I just kegged up a SMaSH recipe that I'm going grain-to-glass in seven days, so yeah, you know you're a homebrewer when you run the mental calculations of how much beer you have on hand and say, "Yeah, that should be enough to get me through two weeks."

LHBS is better stocked. Apparently those with looter mentality have wrong priorities. [emoji6]
I totally did this, picked up a SECOND 55lb sack of german pils malt and some new buckets with gamma lids to store it. Also picked up some yeasts at my LHBS that I ordered a couple weeks ago along with a bunch of hops. If the apocalypse happens I'll be ready to greet it with my pants down and a good, stiff beer buzz...

I totally did this, picked up a SECOND 55lb sack of german pils malt and some new buckets with gamma lids to store it. Also picked up some yeasts at my LHBS that I ordered a couple weeks ago along with a bunch of hops. If the apocalypse happens I'll be ready to greet it with my pants down and a good, stiff beer buzz...
Yeah, already planning to top off CO2 (even not really very close to empty cylinders) at LHBS tomorrow, and even though I've got lots of malt in the gamma buckets, I might just get another sack of 2 row and then swing by Lowe's for a couple more buckets and lids. It'll keep. If I can't ever buy food again, at least I won't be around to lament my squandering of brewing supplies.

If I can't ever buy food again, at least I won't be around to lament my squandering of brewing supplies.
I feel all warm and fuxzy because I've got 20 gallons of 12% panela rum wash ready and waiting to distill; should yield about 4.5 gallons of finished rum so I'm good for awhile. If/when the mothership comes to pick me up, I'll be dancing a rain dance on my roof.

You know you're a homebrewer when you have a seriously nasty spreadsheet to finish tomorrow, it's late, you're tired, and you spend too much time figuring out how to keep yourself from drinking the competition beers for a competition that has been postponed...gonna pull one out of the kegerator to make room for the other one to be carbonated, then hide them in a corner of the garage where I will possibly forget about them for month (American Strong and Porter, both will do better with some aging). And gotta keep the pipeline full....might be time to brew a nice amber lager next weekend with the homemade crystal I did this last weekend. That I did NOT burn for once. Turned out perfect.

…… when you're getting text messages from people you don't even know, 'cause somebody said, that somebody said, that somebody said, that you homebrew, asking if you have any supply for them 'cause all the stores are closed.
I'm getting that too from some FB friends...only they want me to bottle it (in MY bottles) and deliver as well. Heck no, you want beer come to my house with your own growler dammit. And you'll get what I'm willing to part with, not a tittle more. YES I'm selfish.

Back