You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damn, thanks for reminding me....i need to wash 42gs of flax seeds down with milk...and write it down, so i remember i did tomorrow.....
Nice.
I did go look (beer was there, no choice) and it said, "...cover with plastic sheet tied loosely...." That's verbatim so I was technically wrong. But there's a big difference between a permeable and non-permeable material.
So it looks like we're leaning with what you said.
Edit: Oh, man! I totally forgot. I don't actually know what kombucha is. Sound like coffee with alcohol in it. Who knows?

Edit: Oh, man! I totally forgot. I don't actually know what kombucha is. Sound like coffee with alcohol in it. Who knows?

it's a fermented tea thing, it makes the ethanol into a smooth vinegar thing....to me it's an alcoholic drink i can bring a gallon of with me to work, and they let me drink it..

but as we all know acetobacter need O2 to work, which is why i wondered..

at any rate i don't know if i'm a homebrewer anymore.... i've heard conflicting points of view....

I've seen you express knowledge all over here. False modesty...maybe?
Reading between the lines, making beer isn't that complicated.
Fancy air locks? I use them because it seems a good barrier. The first book I read on beer said use a cotton sheet and rubber band. Probably works equally well. We do know that an air lock wasn't around since the beginning.
Cheers.
I agree. Fancy equipment is all well and good but some people in my humble opinion try to turn it into some half mystical higher dimension science. People been making pretty darn good beer for untold centuries without equipment and instructions from some far away advanced civilization. Part of my signature says Brew it just do it. I'm not knocking exspensive equipment but all of that does zero good without experience.

I love seeing the brewery setups in people's houses that look like it could be the engine room on a submarine--gadgets, gauges, meters, valve releases, etc., of which I really don't know how any of it works.

I love it also. The bride used to occasionally comment about, 'another beer stuff delivery?' No longer, ever since I started showing her pics of the major coin many of you are devoting to brewing. She's since been ok with my meager expenditures.
That being said, I've often fantasized about joining the cool kids tri-clamp club. My only problem is, 'how can I add those tri-clamps to my state of the art brewing rig?'
20220221_210337.jpg
20220221_210250.jpg

I love seeing the brewery setups in people's houses that look like it could be the engine room on a submarine--gadgets, gauges, meters, valve releases, etc., of which I really don't know how any of it works.
I have buckets and a hydrometer so it's great fun to see the other side of the coin. My airlock is nearly the fanciest and most complicated piece I own.
I have a nail, a gaden hose, some pex, a kettle, immersion cooler and a bag. Brew day, the garden hose and a pex hose (from the cooler) run in and out under the garage door. It is no submarine. Use my phone as a timer, the nail is to keep my propane timer from stopping the burner. Its all very high tech.

I love it also. The bride used to occasionally comment about, 'another beer stuff delivery?' No longer, ever since I started showing her pics of the major coin many of you are devoting to brewing. She's since been ok with my meager expenditures.
That being said, I've often fantasized about joining the cool kids tri-clamp club. My only problem is, 'how can I add those tri-clamps to my state of the art brewing rig?'
View attachment 760443View attachment 760444
That my friend, is one classy set up. Got me excited. Question, do you have a nail for your propane timer? I got loads. I can send you one.

No longer, ever since I started showing her pics of the major coin many of you are devoting to brewing. She's since been ok with my meager expenditures.

I keep showing posts on FB to SWMBO... you know, the ones that state "My first brew!" and then a photo of $1800 in gear. I call it conditioning for when my fermentor arrives one glorious day in the future.

.... You're a homebrewer when you're kegging and accidently let the corny lid o-ring fall into 5 gallons of stout, curse once, blink twice, and simply grab a new o-ring because up until this point EVERYTHING JUST WENT TOO DAMN WELL!!

It's still in there, too, been about 5 weeks.

I keep showing posts on FB to SWMBO... you know, the ones that state "My first brew!" and then a photo of $1800 in gear. I call it conditioning for when my fermentor arrives one glorious day in the future.

.... You're a homebrewer when you're kegging and accidently let the corny lid o-ring fall into 5 gallons of stout, curse once, blink twice, and simply grab a new o-ring because up until this point EVERYTHING JUST WENT TOO DAMN WELL!!

It's still in there, too, been about 5 weeks.
Is it rubber or silicone?

Is it rubber or silicone?
the large white ones from AIH... food grade rubber (supposedly)

::edit:: I just spent a few minutes looking these up. Apparently there are black rubberized versions out there that my not be as good for storing under beer for 1-2 months. I think the white ones are Silicone or other "food-safe" option. It did not occur to me that this might leach toxins into the beer, good looking out!

Last edited:
the large white ones from AIH... food grade rubber (supposedly)

::edit:: I just spent a few minutes looking these up. Apparently there are black rubberized versions out there that my not be as good for storing under beer for 1-2 months. I think the white ones are Silicone or other "food-safe" option. It did not occur to me that this might leach toxins into the beer, good looking out!
I really was just thinking of off flavors here and while a newer black ring could be silicone it probably wouldn’t be.

"You know you are a home brewer when", I actually pulled off two separate 6 gallon brews today.

Brewed an APA and a Pilsner. First one got under way around 8 AM (after seeing kids off to school) , done around noonish. I let it mash for 2 hours, while i did some "work" (LOL). The second brew started mashing around 2 PM That mash also ran 2 hours. Was basically all done by 5, when the wife got home. Had to run back out later and do some clean up. She caught me doing that with a "you making more beer" comment. That hurts. If she only knew it was two - LOL!

I am pretty happy with myself. Brew days are a more of a necessary evil for me, it is fair to say. I brew at home to make myself some decent inexpensive beer. Not really a relaxing hobby, as such, though I do enjoy the forum banter at times, applying some time saving efficiencies I learn. Yeah, I guess I do like it, but I have 4 kids, so its not something I can really "enjoy" as such.

Anyway, today, I basically rinsed my kettle between boils. Reused my bag without washing it but cleared off most of the previous grain material. Got pretty decent efficiency for a BIAB effort. Couple of 6 gallon buckets downstairs that will see me through a few months.

You know you're a homebrewer when ... you're standing in the grocery store aisle, minding your own business and quietly reading the label on something or other, and your other half comes up to you and she says "you aren't thinking of trying to brew with that, are you!??!!"

Last edited:
SWMBO often asks on a Saturday morning, "are you brewing this weekend?"
I reply, "is the kitchen flooded again?!?"

saving RO waste water has been a bigger challenge than I thought ;)
I have yet to have a full afternoon to do the install, but I plan on running my RO waste line to the rain barrels outside and by extension, the garden. I spent a whole Lincoln getting extra hose. The things we do for this hobby!

"You know you are a home brewer when" you see someone selling 7 cornies for $100.00 on HBT, they are in your area, and think I can't pass that up, I've only got eight already. Now I have 15, but some need work. LOL :mug:
YKYAAHBW...You have 15 cornies and you still have pipeline problems.

When you have a couple of cases of bottles on hand and you have no intention to bottling again.
I’m the opposite. When you eye every single beer bottle that anybody is done with to see if its brown and not a twist-off. And you take them out of the trash. Then you look at the brand and know you have 8 more of those in a box.

And when you’ve also saved 4 cases of wine bottles but don’t plan on making wine and don’t know what you’re going to use those for.

Lastly, when you’ve made up your own little quiz with before and after pictures of different style bottles with and without labels to see who else can identify them.

Last edited:
You're wife and kids come home with baby chicks, because the 14 hens and 2 ducks we already have aren't enough 🙄 open the bag of chick food which is supposed to be tiny crumbles, and it ends up being bagged wrong and its full sized pellet feed for grown chickens. SOLUTION you have a spare grain mill in the basement so you take the pellets and crush them at about .034 gap and make perfect crumbles for the little ones.

When you’ve got these

Bottles

1. Moonraker ✅✅White 8.5% 2️⃣ 28/10/21
  2. Belgium Triple ✅✅light blue 🟠 9.3% 3️⃣ 4/12/21
  3. Traquair House ✅✅silver 🟢 8.3% 2️⃣18/2/22
  4. Rye IPA ✅✅ blue 5.4% 5️⃣ 21/4/22
  5. Niagara Wheat beer ✅✅ red 6.2% 7️⃣ 7/6/22
  6. AAA ✅✅ black 5.5% 3️⃣ 12/7/22
  7. Route Citra 6 Wheat ✅✅ silver 5.2% 1️⃣8️⃣ 27/7/22
  8. Belgian Kwak ✅✅red 7.6% 8️⃣ x33cl, 1️⃣2️⃣ x50cl 17/8/22
  9. Munich Dunkel ✅✅purple 5.2% 8️⃣ 31/8/22
  10. Red X IPA ✅✅ silver 7.0% 1️⃣4️⃣ 5/10/22
  11. Tropical England ✅✅ silver 🟠 6.7% 1️⃣1️⃣ 12/11/22
  12. WI Porter ✅✅ black 6.7% 2️⃣ 15/11/22
  13. Dark Island ✅✅ silver 🟢 4.7% 7️⃣ 19/11/22
  14. Raspberry Wheat Beer ✅✅ dark Green 5.2% 1️⃣7️⃣ 20/11/22
  15. Citra/Mosaic IPA ✅✅ gold 7.0% 4️⃣ 25/11/22
  16. Sierra Nevada ✅✅ light green 6.7% 1️⃣1️⃣ 1/12/22
  17. Helicopter APA ✅ yellow 6.5% 1️⃣7️⃣ 24/1/23
  18. Budvar ✅ pink 5.2% 3️⃣5️⃣ 31/1/23
  19. Devon Dumpling ✅ FT 4.7% 3️⃣
  20. American Amber Ale ✅ ✅ white 5.1% 3️⃣5️⃣

Kegs & Barrels

1. 🛢19 L Dark Island ✅✅ 4.7% 20/11/22
  2. 🛢19 L 5 Points ✅✅ 4.6% 7/2/23
  3. 🛢19 L Devon Dumpling ✅ ✅ 4.7% 21/2/23

When you’ve got these

Bottles

1. Moonraker ✅✅White 8.5% 2️⃣ 28/10/21
  2. Belgium Triple ✅✅light blue 🟠 9.3% 3️⃣ 4/12/21
  3. Traquair House ✅✅silver 🟢 8.3% 2️⃣18/2/22
  4. Rye IPA ✅✅ blue 5.4% 5️⃣ 21/4/22
  5. Niagara Wheat beer ✅✅ red 6.2% 7️⃣ 7/6/22
  6. AAA ✅✅ black 5.5% 3️⃣ 12/7/22
  7. Route Citra 6 Wheat ✅✅ silver 5.2% 1️⃣8️⃣ 27/7/22
  8. Belgian Kwak ✅✅red 7.6% 8️⃣ x33cl, 1️⃣2️⃣ x50cl 17/8/22
  9. Munich Dunkel ✅✅purple 5.2% 8️⃣ 31/8/22
  10. Red X IPA ✅✅ silver 7.0% 1️⃣4️⃣ 5/10/22
  11. Tropical England ✅✅ silver 🟠 6.7% 1️⃣1️⃣ 12/11/22
  12. WI Porter ✅✅ black 6.7% 2️⃣ 15/11/22
  13. Dark Island ✅✅ silver 🟢 4.7% 7️⃣ 19/11/22
  14. Raspberry Wheat Beer ✅✅ dark Green 5.2% 1️⃣7️⃣ 20/11/22
  15. Citra/Mosaic IPA ✅✅ gold 7.0% 4️⃣ 25/11/22
  16. Sierra Nevada ✅✅ light green 6.7% 1️⃣1️⃣ 1/12/22
  17. Helicopter APA ✅ yellow 6.5% 1️⃣7️⃣ 24/1/23
  18. Budvar ✅ pink 5.2% 3️⃣5️⃣ 31/1/23
  19. Devon Dumpling ✅ FT 4.7% 3️⃣
  20. American Amber Ale ✅ ✅ white 5.1% 3️⃣5️⃣

Kegs & Barrels

1. 🛢19 L Dark Island ✅✅ 4.7% 20/11/22
  2. 🛢19 L 5 Points ✅✅ 4.6% 7/2/23
  3. 🛢19 L Devon Dumpling ✅ ✅ 4.7% 21/2/23
Show off - really though, lucky you! No need to brew for awhile.

I have been receiving kits every other month for about 3 years now (since COVID started) from Homebrew Happy Hour Chub Club and have about 5 to brew. I brewed an Irish Red and Dunkelweizen for the NHC and a Cream Ale Kit because it was old. The Chub Club is doing a Kolsch comp in May so I had to brew that one and then I realized I have 4 kegs soon to drink and stocked beer fridge. But hey, I have 3 more empty kegs so I can still brew. I need to find some beer drinking friends to share.....

Latest posts

Back