You have to try this!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardenwheat

Reaction score
After conditioning my malt with a little water before crushing it for my last few beers, I couldn't be more pleased. The crush is supreme, husks are whole and provide a perfect filter bed and my efficiency is through the roof.

I add between 1/2 table spoon to 1 tablespoon per pound of malt in a plastic back, shake it around a few times and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Works incredible.

I love wheat beer and will never use rice hulls again, even with half the grist unmalted wheat!!

So you use a Tbsp of water per pound of grain shaken up in a plastic bag and let it sit for 15 min and the crush is that much better?

I'll have to try that this weekend.

I actually tried it on Memorial Day and it gummed up my two roller Valley Mill. For the little bit that worked properly, I could really see that the husk was more intact, but then I had to widen my gap to crush the rest of the grain bill. I wasn't too happy with the remaining crush.

Does anyone else need to adjust their mill when conditioning?

What problems are you guys having that "conditioning" fixes?

I'm not having any issues with my crush, so this just seems like unnecessay work.

I just use a spray bottle and mist and stir with my hand, in a bowl before letting it rest for 15 min. before I crush. I guess the production breweries crush with water for speed and better hulls retention?

I've tried it and found no benefit to me from it.

You must not ever brew 50% wheat beers with a false bottom.

It makes a night and day difference for me and my system. I think it depends on what type of false bottom, manifold, braid you use.

My system uses a full size false bottom. Without conditioning I can clog that sucker QUICKLY while recirculating through my RIMS during my mash. If you use a braid I'm sure there is much less benefit.

If you looked at my dry vs. conditioned crush, and saw how fine I can set my mill gap, you'd see the benefit.

In my case it made a better crush with a tighter mill setting but I always had a bit of gummy roller issues to clean after. Now that I am doing BIAB only I left the tighter gap and don't condition the malt.

I have a feeling that "Denny" has brewed more beers than the average guy and pretty much take him at his word on most things beer related. Learned a lot from reading his stuff over the years. http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

In my case it made a better crush with a tighter mill setting but I always had a bit of gummy roller issues to clean after. Now that I am doing BIAB only I left the tighter gap and don't condition the malt.

I have a feeling that "Denny" has brewed more beers than the average guy and pretty much take him at his word on most things beer related. Learned a lot from reading his stuff over the years. http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

If your rollers got gummy, then you used too much water. Denny knows his stuff, but hes not a god, he is just a home brewer like the rest of us. Don't be so quick to dismiss things based on one man's word.

If your rollers got gummy, then you used too much water. Denny knows his stuff, but hes not a god, he is just a home brewer like the rest of us. Don't be so quick to dismiss things based on one man's word.

meeeeow!

:rolleyes:

I just think if I can get 78percent efficiency without conditioning, and no stuck sparges, I am not jumping into the spray my grain with water game

meeeeow!

:rolleyes:

I just think if I can get 78percent efficiency without conditioning, and no stuck sparges, I am not jumping into the spray my grain with water game

As I stated, everyone has a different system. If you have something you are happy with that is working well, great!

The conditioning process makes all the difference on my setup and many others. I'll leave it at that. :mug:

Denny knows his stuff, but hes not a god, he is just a home brewer like the rest of us. Don't be so quick to dismiss things based on one man's word.

Agreed. It obviously is what some people need. I don't and a lot of others don't need to do it, though. If you have a problem you're trying to solve, it may be the way to go. If you don't, it's just needless effort.

Back