You don’t “brew” mead!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, without fanfare…

3029216C-EA3E-4F98-97B9-03F3901DCF08.jpeg

The only constant in language is change.

There are linguistic hills I'm willing to die on ("irregardless" and the cot/caught merger are two of them*), but I don't expect to win.

Maintaining a narrow definition of "brew" isn't one of them.

=============
* Also, which and witch are not homophones. Neither are are and our. I'll die fighting those too, but (again) I don't expect to win.

^^^This.

Usage and understanding are the two main things that drive any language forward. The etymology of brewing may come from terms for boiling or steeping, but that doesn't mean the definition of the word is locked into that forever.

Using coffee as an example, cold-extracted coffee is still referred to as "cold brew" even though nothing is heated. The idea that heat is involved has kinda stopped sticking to the word. There's a modifying word to delineate it from coffee brewed with heat, but "brew" is still in there even though that's a break from older uses of the term.

Also...some people heat their honey when making mead. Sometimes that's done to pasteurize it, and when you're making a bochet it can actually boil while it's being caramelized. By the OP's logic this would be the only instances where mead is actually "brewed," but still...you can totally brew mead 😜

was scrolling down to drunken rambling, over saw that the mead recipie forum.....well anyway, i made my way here, wasn't sure but it gave me something to post on the journey!

Oh, we are doing it now? Ok.

honestly i've never really considered extract brewing to be "brewing"
Same as reheating frozen food is not cooking.

I can't stand the use of 'irregardless'.
I can't continue to read or listen to someone who says "That being said".

For brewing, I have a list of words that make me instantly stop reading a post. Included are: extract, peanut butter, any variation of IPA, any mention of juice, DME, LME.

Brewing beer is an art and a craft. I'm not a great artist, but at least you won't find me sitting on the floor with crayons half chewed up.

A lot of times, I don't even "make" cider. I just leave some fresh unpasteurized orchard juice sitting in the back of the refrigerator for a month or two. Ta-da.

There ain't nothing easier on the planet to "brew", "make", or "oops" than cider. Well... at least, if you don't press your own apples I mean. I'll let somebody else do all that dirty work. I've done it a few times and... yeah I don't think I'll bother anymore. But it's fun though.

A lot of times, I don't even "make" cider. I just leave some fresh unpasteurized orchard juice sitting in the back of the refrigerator for a month or two. Ta-da.

There ain't nothing easier on the planet to "brew", "make", or "oops" than cider. Well... at least, if you don't press your own apples I mean. I'll let somebody else do all that dirty work. I've done it a few times and... yeah I don't think I'll bother anymore. But it's fun though.

very cristian way of doing it.....ask yourself, "hmmm, does god want me to have a drink or not?" lol
I ain't much of a fighter Yoop, but I'll wrassle ya, if it's OK with the Mr....

that's not safe unless he'd be wearing three masks and standing 12 feet away!

you wanted a fight....i was just looking and,

1627272694452.png

is this a real forum? or is it like the matrix, and "there is no spoon"

edit: lol, it should be wort, grape juice, sweet honey water, apple juice fermenting....place to talk about all your fermenting needs!

I don't really don't mind much what people call brewing but I do have a thing for the dictionary. It's super easy to use and figure out stuff like this.

Brew Definition:

brew

\ ˈbrü \
brewed; brewing; brews
Definition of brew
(Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
1: to prepare (beer, ale, etc.) by steeping, boiling, and fermentation or by infusion and fermentation
2a: to bring about : FOMENT brew trouble
b: CONTRIVE
3: to prepare (a drink or other liquid) by infusion in hot waterbrew tea
intransitive verb
1: to brew beer or ale
2: to be in the process of forminga storm is brewing

brew
noun
Definition of brew (Entry 2 of 2)
1a: a brewed beverage (such as beer)
b: a serving of a brewed beverage quaff a few brews
c: something produced by or as if by brewing
2: the process of brewing

The second part of the first definition is relevant because:

Infuse Definition:

infuse

in·fuse | \ in-ˈfyüz \
infused; infusing
Definition of infuse

transitive verb
1a: to cause to be permeated with something (such as a principle or quality) that alters usually for the better infuse the team with confidence
b: INTRODUCE, INSINUATE a new spirit was infused into American art— Amer. Guide Series: N. Y.
2: INSPIRE, ANIMATE the sense of purpose that infuses scientific research
3: to steep in liquid (such as water) without boiling so as to extract the soluble constituents or principles
4: to administer or inject by infusion stem cells were infused into the patient

The third definition of infuse is then relevant for our purposes since if brewing encompasses infused liquids and infusing does not require heat. Sooooooo yeah mead and wine making is going to be considered brewing as well according to Merriam Webster.

Fight me. :)

I don’t know when it happened exactly, but with the explosion in homebrewing and mead making (and wine and cider too of course), I get so many messages here and on another forum that people start with “Brewing mead tomorrow!”.

I guess we’re using “homebrewing” as a catch all now for fermentation so I suppose you brew sauerkraut, wine, and cider too?

Weird to me. I brew coffee. I brew beer. To me, “brewing” denotes a hot (brewing) process. I don’t brew wine. Or sauerkraut or pickles.

Whew. I feel better now!
So in theory if there is boiling and stepping, it could be brewing?
Eg with a country wine if you invert the sugar and steep herbs as part of the process is that brewing?
I've always considered winemaking, cider making and mead making - making something

Oh, we are doing it now? Ok.
Same as reheating frozen food is not cooking.
So following that analogy, you’re not baking unless you mill your own flour? You’re not making wine unless you stomp the grapes?
Spaghetti sauce can still be excellent even if you start with tomatoes that someone else processed.

Back